Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is an A&P required to do Rotax engine work for hire?

Default Re: Is an A&P required to do Rotax engine work for hire?

My understanding is that a certified engine that is mounted on an experimental aircraft is no longer a certified engine. JImChuk

That is what I was told by my DAR when I got my Kitfox certified. I had every intention to maintian the engine as certified by signing it off with my IA, but was told that it couldn't be done.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Rusty - thanks for finding and posting that article. It pretty much answered the question and used the regs to do so. Don't tell anyone but I copied and saved it for future reference.

To the certified engine on an experimental aircraft question - the FAA teaches DARs that once installed on an experimental aircraft the engine becomes an member of the experimental category. Can't supply a reg but that is what the FAA teaches. Take it for what it is worth.

BTW - Contrary to conventional experimental aircraft owner wisdom and a new-to-me discovery (shared here at no additional expense); I found when researching whether or not a certified engine on an experimental can remain a certified engine, that the FAA can and does issue some ADs that apply to experimental aircraft. Check out AC 39-7D para 9(b). (Applies to certificated articles on experimental aircraft.)
    Last edited by Delta Whisky; 07-03-2023 at 05:27 PM.

It also seems that when a certified aircraft engine is installed in an experimental, the phase 1 flight test time is often reduced to 25 hrs instead of 40. Can't quote chapter and verse in the regs, but heard it quite a few times. JImChuk

I’ve heard that too, Jim, except that it was in regard to a certified engine AND propeller combination. That was supposedly true at the discretion of the DAR doing the inspection… at least it was that way in my neck of the woods.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    I’ve heard that too, Jim, except that it was in regard to a certified engine AND propeller combination. That was supposedly true at the discretion of the DAR doing the inspection… at least it was that way in my neck of the woods.
    The instruction to the DAR for an experimental - amateur built aircraft regarding phase one flight time is in chapter 15 of Order 8130.2j, paragraph 15-4(e):

Issue Airworthiness Certificate.
    (1) Duration of Assignment to Flight Test Area. Amateur-built aircraft should be limited to operation within an assigned flight test area for at least:
    (a) 40 hours when a non-type-certificated engine, propeller, or engine/propeller combination is installed.
    (b) 40 hours if an installed type-certificated engine, propeller, or engine/propeller combination has been altered in a way that differs from an approved type design on a TCDS.
    (c) 25 hours when an unaltered, type-certificated engine/propeller combination is installed.
    (d) 10 hours and at least five takeoffs and landings for gliders, balloons, and airships.
    (e) Five hours after any major change.

I had no idea how complex a question I was asking in my opening post!

Clearly the EAA/FAA have some education to do in making it more clear about who is permitted to do maintenance on the airframe/engine and who can sign off on it.