Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox Upgrades Back Country Landing Gear

Default Kitfox Upgrades Back Country Landing Gear

KITFOX UPGRADES BACK-COUNTRY LANDING GEAR

For immediate release.
    June 27, 2023 / Homedale, Idaho.
    There may be no more important component of a back-country aircraft for confidence and safety than a rugged, reliable landing-gear system. As part of its continuous improvement of the long-running Kitfox designs, Kitfox Aircraft LLC and Acme Aerofab have partnered to offer a superior gear and suspension system, now or soon to be available for nearly the entire Kitfox lineup.
    The new Black Ops suspension allows the strongly triangulated Kitfox main landing gear to articulate smoothly and controllably over the roughest terrain, improving controllability during back-country operations and providing better passenger comfort. Key to this new system is an internally sprung damping system that separates the springing medium from the damping components. That means a loss of nitrogen pressure in the damping system will not cause the system to sag and lose ride height. A loss of nitrogen or even damping oil will not render the Acme Aerofab system unflyable. Other systems, which use an air/oil system could leave you stranded—or worse.
    “We are excited to offer the Acme Black Ops shocks as standard for the Kitfox STi. The more positive feel and ride height coupled with the safety and testing required for the STC makes a shock that is an excellent fit for the back country and the Kitfox Aircraft models,” said Kitfox CEO John McBean.
    The STC’d Black Ops suspension is a bolt-on replacement for existing Kitfox Cabane V gear, and is now the standard suspension system for the Kitfox S7 STi, while it’s optional for the Series 5, 6 and 7 Super Sport models. Kitfox Aircraft is currently working on a version to retrofit to the earlier Kitfox Model 4.
    The Acme Black Op’s shock upgrade package for the Kitfox Series 5, 6 and 7 models is $3430 and is an upgrade option on new-construction Kitfoxes—except for the S7 STi where it is standard.
    All parts and materials used for the Black Ops are 100% American sourced and made. Both companies are proud USA manufacturers and are veteran owned.

IMG_0656-150-1200.jpgacme AZ GC1 IMG_9980-150-1200.jpgacme-bechtold IMG_0764-150-1200.jpg

Default Re: Kitfox Upgrades Back Country Landing Gear

This is great! I have been wondering why the ACME shocks have kind of been ignored on the Kitfox. I like the safety features, and the much cleaner look and drag compared to the monster shocks. Price also seems more competitive.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Congratulations on the partnership.
    I have been running black ops on a couple of model IV's for a while now.
    Money well spent!

Any pictures or info on the $8500 titanium gear legs option?

I will be very interested in the Model 4 version!

IMG_4041.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by dothedr3w View Post
    Any pictures or info on the $8500 titanium gear legs option?
    I was interested in these as well. It was suggested to me that because of the larger size, that there wouldn’t be any real weight savings. I still like the idea and hope they can make them beneficial. I took a picture at Oshkosh.

Quote Originally Posted by Billiken View Post
    IMG_4041.jpeg
    I was interested in these as well. It was suggested to me that because of the larger size, that there wouldn’t be any real weight savings. I still like the idea and hope they can make them beneficial. I took a picture at Oshkosh.
    My thought was kind of similar. The pieces don't really appear to be too large, so the opportunity for a lot of weight savings doesn't really exist. I had a custom fatbike made up a few years ago; I initially wanted it in titanium, but was eventually talked out of it given the price/weight saving ratio was pretty out of wack. I love titanium, but for $8500 it better save over 20lbs or come with some magic beans.