Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How find shop inspect my 912ULS gearbox?

Default How find shop inspect my 912ULS gearbox?

So I am at 577 hours coming up on my 600 hour required inspection of the gearbox on my 912ULS and I am very puzzled about how and where to get this inspection done. I live in Southern California and would love to take it to a Rotax shop that specializes in this but strangely, am having trouble locating one. I thought that only a licensed A&P could be hired to do this kind of work but yet when I use the service locator below, there appear to be a lot of independent rotax maintenance technicians (iRMT) who are not A&Ps and their training appears to be only a two day course. I am simply not comfortable entrusting my engine and my life to someone without an A&P whose training was limited to a two day class.

Although I have loved doing my own 100 and 200 hour services, especially ripping apart the Bing carbs, looking at the specialized tools to do the gearbox inspection is a bit daunting so I was planning on hiring a professional but if all I can find is someone who has taken a two day class then I will do it myself. Am I missing something here? It cant be that hard to get a Rotax serviced.

Here is the service locator:
    https://rotaxirmt.com/locator

Default Re: How find shop inspect my 912ULS gearbox?

I recommend Leaf or South Mississippi Light Aircraft.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks! I have been buying parts from LEAF for awhile now and they have top notch service, did not know they did engine work too. Although its a long flight from California, might be worth it!

You can try California Power Systems (subsid of Aircraft Spruce). The shop is located on Chino airport last I knew. He actually does a lot of work Mobile so I am not certain he still has a shop. I plan to have him do my gearbox. His name escapes me and I haven't located his card yet but I believe it is Kevin.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

THANKS! Chino is closer for me. I found a Kevin and CPS, I will email him and see if he will do my gearbox! Here is the contact info I found for him:

The general email for rotax services is info@cps-aviationservices.com

I will report back what I find out, thanks again!

CPS had a good reputation for service for many years; then recently I started hearing disturbing things related to changes in their service shop. Maybe by now things are back up to snuff, but I personally would do some checking.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

No indication why Rotax cut CPS off in 2021 but cant be good. I just found this on the Aircraft Spruce website:
    "California Power Systems (CPS) moved to Corona, CA in November 2011 and over the past ten years we have provided Rotax parts and service to owners of Rotax powered aircraft as the iSC for the Western U.S. Unfortunately, CPS is no longer an iSC and is unable to order parts engines or parts from Rotax. The CPS website is now being redirected to www.aircraftspruce.com so that former CPS customers have access to the wide selection of aviation products available from Aircraft Spruce."

After lots of investigating, I came up with a solution that I was comfortable with. Remove the gearbox and send it to a certified service center. Motive Aero in Hurricane Utah charges $700 + any parts needing replacing. You include a letter with the engine serial number and the hours on the engine and with the returned, inspected engine they send an endorsement sticker to put in the engine log book.

Motive Aero has a Petaluma branch. Haven't used them yet but will be soon.
    https://motive.aero/
    Jason B.
    Phase 1 - S7 STi
    Dynon | 915is

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Motive Aero has a Petaluma branch. Haven't used them yet but will be soon.
    https://motive.aero/
    Cool! I will check that out to see if they do major maintenance because then I could just drive it there! I have a suspicion though that all the major work is done at their Utah facility.