Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 582 UL EGT Question/Concern

Default 582 UL EGT Question/Concern

I have a Model 3, rebuilt the 582 and have a GSC 3 blade. I think it is set to 10 degrees (per manual) but will measure tomorrow. Started the break-in and EGTs were both just under 1,300 degrees at 5,000 RPM (at 3,500 RPM they were both around 1,000 degrees). Bing needles both set as high as they will go, so should be rich (not hot). Run up done with cowls off. Using E-0 fuel in Oregon. I know I need to finish the break-in process, but was concerned about the EGT's. Any thoughts from the group? My tech counselor thought that running the prop at 10 degrees might contribute to the issue. The log book from 1994 said they had it at 14 degrees, which is quite a difference.

Thanks,
    Steve

Default Re: 582 UL EGT Question/Concern

Not enough pitch in the prop will make your EGTs go high. You should be seeing a maximum of about 6250 static rpm if the prop is set correctly. Also, a lot of the 2 1/4" round tacks are not very accurate. A good tiny tach is hard to beat for accurate rpm readings. Also, it's good to look at the plugs, (EGT gauges are not always super accurate). Gray is lean, brown/coffee color is about right, and black is rich. 1300 if accurate is scary.... JImChuk

1300 is way too high. 1200 is redline. Prop pitch depends on gearbox ratio and diameter too, which you haven't told us. I've had 2 kitfoxes with 582, 3.0:1, and 3 blade 68" GSC props and the GCS guide say 12.75 deg. Can't remember what I had mine at. What rpm is it turning on the ground?
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Not enough pitch in the prop will make your EGTs go high. You should be seeing a maximum of about 6250 static rpm if the prop is set correctly. Also, a lot of the 2 1/4" round tacks are not very accurate. A good tiny tach is hard to beat for accurate rpm readings. Also, it's good to look at the plugs, (EGT gauges are not always super accurate). Gray is lean, brown/coffee color is about right, and black is rich. 1300 if accurate is scary.... JImChuk
    Jim, thank you. I'll add pitch and invest in a Tiny Tach. Have a great day.

Steve