Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Anyone with a Kitfox 3,4,5 near east TN?

Default Anyone with a Kitfox 3,4,5 near east TN?

Greetings,

I'm starting to shop for a future project, and I've always loved the wing folding on the Kitfox. I'd be looking to use a 912 engine, so I understand that would require a model 3 or newer. In thinking about this, I realize I haven't even seen a Kitfox in person in at least a couple decades, so it would be nice to see one again before thinking too much about this. I'm 6'-1" but it's all neck, so headroom is often a problem. I'm currently flying a Sonex Onex with a 912 out of MMI in Athens TN.

Thanks,
    Rusty
    13brv3@gmail.com

Default Re: Anyone with a Kitfox 3,4,5 near east TN?

I have a 5 in Calhoun Georgia. 50 miles south of Chattanooga right off I-75. There will be another 5 at airport in a couple of week and currently a 4 on field.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Hi David,

That sounds interesting for sure, and pretty convenient. Which airport/field are you located at? I see you're an RV guy. I've built two RV-8s and a -3B with a Mazda rotary engine. I owned another -3B I didn't build. I got away from the RVs because I don't travel, and I used to joke that with the RV I was going nowhere fast :-)

Rusty

Rusty, I am at Calhoun Airport CZL. Just got a call from the guy with the new S5. I am meeting him tomorrow so he can borrow my aircraft trailer to bring the plane to the airport. He just got his airworthiness certificate and will bring to airport and start taxi testing this weekend. Let me know if you decide to come down and visit.
    Yep the tail section on the RV 14 expected next month. Rest of kit by December.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. At some point I'll track you down to arrange a visit. Maybe some day they'll get finished sealing the asphalt at our airport and it will be open again. I'd be as interested in seeing the 4 as the 5. I work every weekend (186 straight this weekend), so that often makes logistics difficult. There's no hurry at all on this, and I'll also plan a visit to the Just Aircraft guys to check out the Escapade and Highlander.

As for the -14, there's a really nice one at my airport (MMI). I don't need 2 seats, much less 4, so I haven't really paid that much attention to it. It belongs to a couple, but she's the pilot and primary builder. They had it painted not long ago, and there's a neat Rosie the Riveter picture painted on the vertical stab.

Rusty

I'm going to get together with David to see his -5, but I'm not sure I'll be able to see the -4 at his airport. At this point, I think the -3 is out, but I'd still like to sit in a -4 to get an idea of whether that's an option. I'm going to look at an Avid MK-IV this week, but I fully expect that to be cramped. So, anyone with a -4 I could sit in near East TN?

I'm also open to opinions of headroom. I'm 6'-1" but it's more torso than legs. Weight shouldn't be an issue at 185. I'm sure the -5 has more headroom than the -4, but I'm wondering how bad the -4 would be. I'm thinking the -4 is bigger than the 3, and I get the impression that the -3 is about the same cockpit size as the Avid MK-IV. Have I got that about right?

Thanks,
    Rusty

The 5 is bigger than the 4, and I believe the 3 and 4 are the same size in cockpit area. The Avid has about 2" less headroom than the Kitfox 4. A domed skylight would give additional headroom. Here is a picture of an Avid MK IV I had with a domed skylight. Might be real hard to fine that skylight, but I think one could be made. Actually there is an outfit that will make custom skylights for a different application that I think could be made to work. I'm 5'9", and when I sit on my butt, flat on the floor, the top of my head is 31" to the floor. I have about 2" of headroom in my Avid Flyer without a domed skylight. Try measuring yourself, and you may get some idea of how you will fit. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by avidflyer; 07-04-2023 at 11:49 AM.

That's all super helpful, though a little depressing. My seated height is 38" (giraffe-like neck), so headroom is always a problem. I'm picturing a skylight that looks more like a turret, and I'll just look over the wings :-)

I know in some cases the seat can be lowered, but I'm not familiar enough with these designs to know if that's possible.

Thanks,
    Rusty

I met David today and tried on his S5. There would be no problem with headroom or legroom, and even with both of us in there, it was comfortable. That pretty much confirms that the S5-7 are all fine. I also know the Just Aircraft Highlander has plenty of room. Yesterday I proved that the Avid MK-IV is completely hopeless. I visited a guy locally and getting in and out was humorous at best. Imagine that last clown trying to squeeze into the VW :-)

David is still trying to track down the S4 owner in Calhoun, but is there anyone else near East TN that has an S4 I could try sitting in? Someone sent me this link showing a guy he believes is 6'-2" with a helmet, and he seems to have headroom in the S4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOoEEu9c4mA I'd hope that would be the case for me as well, since I could imagine finding an S4 with a 2-stroke, or no engine. I have a 912UL on a test stand, and have all the instruments and radios, so that would be a fairly easy project to update.

Thanks,
    Rusty

Default Re: Anyone with a Kitfox 4,5 near east TN?

My search for an S4 near East TN continues. I looked at a one builder/owner tri-gear S5 yesterday in Crossville, TN. It's advertised for sale in Trade-a-plane, with a 60 hr SMOH O-200. It appears to be a pretty good deal, but I just can't bring myself to buy a tri-gear, and the S5 doesn't appear to be easily convertible like the later models are.

I'm really still hoping for an S4 with a 2-stroke that I can convert to the 912 and instruments I already have. Of course that's assuming I fit in it. I may just have to wait until one comes up for sale close enough to look at.

Rusty