Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Instrument Panel - Proposed Layout

Default Re: Instrument Panel - Proposed Layout

With a Garmin touch screen you can skip the autopilot panel (save $ and panel space) and run it off the PFD.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I would prefer a remote mount xspndr and a panel mount radio. You are fiddling with radio frequencies a lot and not having to go thru a touch screen is better IMHO. The xspndr is rarely touched.
    I agree entirely. Thats the GTR 200B radio on the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by desertdave View Post
    With a Garmin touch screen you can skip the autopilot panel (save $ and panel space) and run it off the PFD.
    I do love the idea of a nice clean panel and everything running off the G3X, but the AP panel is non negotiable to me. Just the ease of getting it all fired up, the Yaw damper, and most importantly the 'level' button...moreso for my eventual passengers should something happen to me, it at least buys some time.

Still undecided on the panel mount radio....but playing music over Bluetooth seems like a nice option.

I have been following this thread and have a few observations.

An Avionics Master is obsolete, everything will be on during engine startup to monitor engine. Modern avionics are not affected by low voltage at engine start.

What engine do you plan on? If it a Rotax 9xxiS, the you will need Lane A/Lane B lights, start power switch and I didn't see/notice fuel pumps.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Planning on an edge performance ep912sti (basically a Rotax). I've got the 2 lanes titled as 'ECU', and the fuel pumps are just called 'FUEL'. It's my understanding that the Edge Performance doesn't require a 'start power' switch, I should get away with a normal starter switch running thru the Vertical Power PPS.

The generally consensus seems to be that avionics switch is obsolete, and I totally understand that sentiment; I went like 20 design iterations without one, but it somehow found its way back lol. I kind of like the idea of being able to power cycle the avionics without killing the master. For example, in flight and something is acting up, I can do the ol' turn it off and back on...if I'm out to lunch with this one I'm all ears!

Quote Originally Posted by dothedr3w View Post
    I kind of like the idea of being able to power cycle the avionics without killing the master. For example, in flight and something is acting up, I can do the ol' turn it off and back on...if I'm out to lunch with this one I'm all ears!
    That's why each item has its own power switch, or in the case of the EFIS, a key sequence to force a reboot. With modern electronics the Avionics Master switch is unnecessary and is nothing more than a single point of failure for every item powered through it.

The worst problem you might see is an EFIS reboot during engine cranking. That's easily addressed with a small backup battery like the TCW Technologies IBBS or the EarthX ETX104. Dynon has their own EFIS backup battery; perhaps Garmin has one too.

If you haven't done so, I'd recommend reading Bob Nuckolls' book, The Aeroelectric Connection. Bob's current state-of-the-art design for an E-AB aircraft with an electrically dependent engine is his Z-101B. Review the diagram, read the notes, and feel free to ask questions, either here or on the AeroElectric-List forum.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Maybe I'm old school, but I still like the idea of an avionics master. I had a voltage regulator (yes the Rotax/Ducati one) fail once in flight and was slowly losing battery voltage. It was easy to shut off all non-essential avionics with the avionics master (transponder, radio, intercom, ADS-B) without having to start pulling breakers. My EFIS of course with engine info is not powered thru the avionics master. The so called disadvantage of a single point failure is in my opinion nil to none; how often does a mechanical switch suddenly fail. I also like the ability to turn off the avionics master before I kill the engine, protecting the sensitive avionics against a possible voltage spike (I know this is rare, but it is more probable than a switch failure). Just another set of thoughts to throw into the mix.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I certainly appreciate the different perspectives from everyone on this thread. I don't have a ton of my own experience to draw on...actually zero experience with a glass panel. So to everyone weighing in, thank you! I expect this panel will evolve more, but the changes are becoming more and more subtle.

Just my 2cw - Keep it as simple as possible!

A good clean design has an elegance all to its own.
    Look at the standard that Kitfox themselves are producing and follow that template if possible.
    I'm all into making it your "dream panel" but be careful on making it too "busy" or complicated.

I refer to the instruments at the proper times, especially the engine ones, but mostly my eyes are outside the cockpit!
    Last edited by bbs428; 02-27-2024 at 01:27 AM.
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint

Did the moderators remove like half of this thread? I went to review prior suggestions and they're gone, along with a bunch of the uploaded photos.