Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Stainless Steel Braided Teflon Fuel Hose.

Default Stainless Steel Braided Teflon Fuel Hose.

Has anyone replaced the rubber hoses from the wing tanks to the header tank with stainless steel braided teflon fuel hose and if so do they impact the wing fold capability of the Kitfox, I do not plan on folding my wings but would like to keep it as an option.

Regards

Paul.

Default Re: Stainless Steel Braided Teflon Fuel Hose.

These are gravity feed fuel lines. Braided hose would be overkill IMHO. You wouldn't even see it in my plane as the interior has covers that go over those hoses. I don't believe you would experience any problems swinging the wings should you chose to do it. Many people have replaced the rubber hose with a higher quality product due to the fuel smell that permeates the factory provided hose. I was informed that the original hose works Okay with 100LL but if you use auto gas it smells a lot. I can attest to that for sure.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by P Johnson View Post
    Has anyone replaced the rubber hoses from the wing tanks to the header tank with stainless steel braided teflon fuel hose and…

Regards

Paul.
    I am using braided PFTE hoses. It doesn't 'appear' that I am going to have an issue but full disclosure is that I haven't fully folded my wings yet with the hoses installed. I am putting a shutoff valve between each wing tank and the header to do two thing; stop fuel from transferring from one tank to the other when parked on a slant (check valve in the vent line) and using 6AN fittings on the hoses allow me to have a means to disconnect the lines easily should I ever have to remove a wing.

Cheers
    Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

when I picked up this project in 2018 it had fresh braided fuel lines from one of the shops in california. oh they looked so nice, of course I put them back in during the build up from a complete tear down. little buggers leaked ... they even looked pretty in the garbage can ...

Just curious… were they teflon-lined hoses, and where did they leak - at the fittings, or the body of the hose itself? In over 35 years of using teflon hoses with braided S.S. sheath for fuel, oil and brake lines, I’ve never had one leak. I’ve assembled many of them myself as well as using factory-made units.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

the lines had AN fittings, another reason why I wanted to reinstall them, but one leaked right at the fitting .. factory made by one or the other of the big names in southern cal (but I don't want to try to find the receipt, could have thrown it out) .. and I can't say if it was teflon .. they had about a year in service, then sitting on the shelf for 3 years ... maybe they were too tight for folding wings and it stressed the crimp ?