Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ethanol Fuel

Default Ethanol Fuel

I would like to know if any one uses fuel containing ethanol in their Kitfox 7SS. The Kitfox 7SS has ethanol resistant fuel tanks, does this mean I can use fuel containing ethanol all of the time or just now and again?

Unlike the USA where I think you can still get automotive fuel which contains no ethanol, here in the UK all our automotive fuel contains ethanol, 5% in 93AKI and 10% in 91AKI, both are suitable for the Rotax 912 series and is what most pilots use in their 912 engines, we do have ethanol free aviation fuel UL91 which is also suitable but is not available at my airport.

So back to the original question what does ethanol resistant mean, I know what the dictionary says but what is real life experience, how many aircraft have used ethanol fuel most of the time and have there been any adverse affects on the fuel tanks from using this fuel I don't want speculation but real experience please?

Thanks in advance

Paul.

Default Re: Ethanol Fuel

I run 91 with ethanol (10%) exclusively. Just make sure you run good fuel lines. I fly often and it’s kept in climate controlled hangar. My experience the Sun and heat degrade fuel quickly. If I am not going to be flying often I will put some avgas in it.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Im surprised to hear your using ethanol exclusively Dustin. I have been under the impression that using it is fine but leaving it in the tanks is not advised. I never run it because of the problem I once seen on the Kitfox Factory shop floor. Brandon may add to this as he was the one who was repairing the ruined fuel tanks. The story was that the Kitfox was left to sit in an AZ hangar for three months (summer I believe) with auto fuel. The tanks were trash and fuel had pretty much taken out the fabric of the inboard 1/3 of the wings. Ive been fearful of using it ever since.
    Good to hear that it is working out for Dustin.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie I bet the tanks he was fixing was before Brandon did the research on what resin to use that would encounter ethanol. AVgas is the safest way to go and why the factory recommends it. The tanks are designed to handle ethanol but safest route is not to use it. If you do use it, I would follow the recommendation not to leave it in the tanks long term. (sitting in a plane during the summer in AZ) I always buy fuel from the local gas station that sells lots of fuel. They have been a safe fuel source for years in boosted sleds that are very sensitive to fuel and had no fuel issues. With that being said when flying from home base I always use avgas because I don't trust mogas fuel from other locations. I have no det detection and one bad tank of fuel could end badly. So to answer your question, buy fuel from a reputable source and fly often if using ethonal. If you are going to sit, then fly your plane and put some avgas in it or travel and fill the tanks with NON-ethanol. Those that are reading this, this is for the newer 7SS or 7STI with the fuel tanks that are "ethanol resistant."
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 04-03-2023 at 08:00 AM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Justin good to know that your only concern is the deterioration of the fuel and not the tank. Eddie I would like to know if the tanks that were destroyed by ethanol were the newer resistant type and if anyone else has suffered this fate as this would definitely put me off ethanol fuel. It would also be nice to have a definite answer from the factory to whether the tanks will hold up long term to ethanol but I don't think they would ever recommend it's use due to litigation.