Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Static Port

Default Re: Static Port

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    I'm not sure why you would put one in. The HS, wing to fuse junction, and doors leak in a major way and to my knowledge a static port location analysis has not been performed on any of the fuselages so . . . . . . .?

I agree that a static port in a drafty Kitfox seems unnecessary.
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

That draftiness in the cockpit will cause varying static port pressures, which makes an external port better for reliable reading on instruments that rely on static input.

In my model 3 the static port is cabin pressure. This makes my airspeed readings vary 5+ MPH while in steady cruise.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    That draftiness in the cockpit will cause varying static port pressures, which makes an external port better for reliable reading on instruments that rely on static input.

In my model 3 the static port is cabin pressure. This makes my airspeed readings vary 5+ MPH while in steady cruise.
    My experienced Model 5 Vixen (original owner/builder started build in the 90’s & finally flew in 2003…that I did not build), has no plumbing to a pitot static system. Yes, the airspeed reads high but I’m used to it & do not view this deficit as enough of a hazard to retrofit tubes now. If I was a builder, I would put in the optional static port & tubing for sure.

Also, if I was building today, I would figure out a way to close off the tail section, wing roots & cowl sealing (to cockpit) to keep the air calm inside the cockpit. As an example this is possible, a friend restored his dad’s Aeronca and the cabin is draft free because he closed off all the opportunities for air to flow through the cockpit un-invited.
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29