Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cabin heater coolant diagram

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Cabin heater coolant diagram

Larry, in reference to your diagram in Post #9. Is this the way Kitfox recommends you plumb the coolant lines? (i.e. in parallel to the main coolant radiator).

Anyone have any thoughts on getting maximum flow through the cabin heat radiator (which uses 5/8" hose) without sacrificing main engine cooling (which uses 1" hose).

==
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by sonex293 View Post
    Larry, in reference to your diagram in Post #9. Is this the way Kitfox recommends you plumb the coolant lines? (i.e. in parallel to the main coolant radiator).

==
    Michael
    The Rotax diagram that I modified (in post #9) reflects the way my build manual instruction say to plumb the cabin heater. I've never seen a diagram published by Kitfox that shows the cabin heat exchanger included.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

I have the heater installed on my new Kitfox 4 build, and here is what I did. As the heater core has 1" fittings, I ran through the firewall, through the heater core, back out through the firewall and then to the radiator. I am using a thermobob, but rigged up something that doesn't allow the thermostat to close completely, so I'm not using the bypass line. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

A bit further along. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

+1 for the thermobob.
    I'm in Canada and use of an oil T-stat as well as coolant t-stat is pretty much mandatory.
    Priority one is making sure oil and coolant temps are above minimums.
    The thermobob bypass line goes to my heater core. Kitfox uses a Setrab 50-616-7612. PWM controller on the fans adjusts the temp (no isolation).
    I have seen situations where using the heater cools down the bypass enough that I can run out of heat from the engine so that needs attention in flight.
    Seal up the tail which sucks the heat out like a vacuum. I am aware of some that use an insulated divider behind the seat to keep the heat in too.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912