Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hysol 9460 Cartridge Questions

Default Hysol 9460 Cartridge Questions

Are there different types of Hysol 9460 out there.
    I was about to checkout with a online order and noticed the description said Loctite 9460 Hysol heat cured.
    Then I noticed another one that said ambient cured.
    And if there is a difference what does heat cured mean?

Default Re: Hysol 9460 Cartridge Questions

I believe there is only one type Hysol 9460 that is made by Loctite, but it does come in various quantities. There may be other variations of Hysol, but they would have a different part number.

As far as curing here is what Loctite says on their website:
    Complete cure will be obtained after 72 hours at room temperature. Hysol 9460 will take approximately 6 to 8 hours when heat cured at a maximum temperature of 149°C. After 24 hours of cure, 90% if full cure properties are attained at room temperature.

So Hysol can be cured at room temperature or with heat, it just changes the cure time. This is true of almost any two part glue, epoxy or varnish. As an A&P we need to know where to find this information because there are times we need to get a plane back on the flight line ASAP. At times we speed up the cure time using heat.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks Phil. I learned a little more about cure times and techniques since my post. I dug into the locktite tech sheets. The 9460 Kitfox supplies is EA 9460. And it is packaged with a red color on the label.
    While I was shopping around for cartridges of that I found 9460 offered by my local Grainger store however it is packaged with a black color on the label and is described as heat cure. That sent me down a rabbit hole in a world of applicator guns and mixing nozzles type A...type B...nozzles that are AB.....good grief.
    Have zero experience with these guns and nozzles so it is confusing all the options out there.
    Looking for a one stop shopping place to get all these things so they play with each other nicely.

The best price I found for Hysol cartridges was at Amazon, but they're currently out of stock with no estimated replenishment date. I also purchased this applicator gun and these mixing tips. Both have worked well.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Like Eric, I've purchased some of the tubes from Amazon. When one supplier was out of stock I did another search and noticed the missing "EA" but when the tubes arrived they were EA 9460. It's a gamble like everything else on Amazon, since many sellers probably never hold the product in their hand or even know specific details.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII