Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floats

Default Re: Floats

I am in the process of designing and building the attachment hardware for my Kitfox IV for Zenair (use to be Czech) 1450 floats. I have my floats attached to each other with the spreader bars. This involved machining a 7075 aluminum fitting to attach the spreader bar streamlined shape to the round float attachment tube. I have designed the location and angle of the floats and built a jig to represent the aircraft attachments (my kitfox is at the lake on Lotus 1200 floats). Now I am getting the angles and length for my struts and cross cables. I have the attachment fittings designed but have not started the machining project. Of course, non of this has been tested in operation. I hope to have that completed later this summer. I can send you pictures of what I have if you wish to send me your email address.

I am installing zenair floats to a Highlander and am also trying to sort out how to attach them. I believe the fittings are very similar to the Kitfox IV which has lead me here. Have messaged ahoadley and av8rps, but maybe it's holiday time in USA. Can anyone else help. Thanks Pete, Melbourne Australia.

Jim,
    You must have the fastest Kitfox 4 on the planet with those posted speeds.

On floats you will be around 80 to 85 mph in my opinion.

Your plane a 520lbs will benefit you once you get floats going.
    I have seen Iv at 850 lbs !! YIKES on wheels double YIKES !!

you will gain 150 to 200 lbs with amphib floats.

Good luck , was on lake with mine last few days -- off to another lake soon today.