Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 582 Rotary Valve Oiling System seems to be pressurized causing leaks

Default 582 Rotary Valve Oiling System seems to be pressurized causing leaks

I am having problems lately (but not in the first 2 hours of engine operation) with oil leaks in my rotary valve system. First oil was spitting out the hole in the cap. Then I bought a new cap gasket and sealed the hole. Now I seem to get oil leaking where the tubing is clamped to the reservoir. Should this system have any pressure at all? I am concerned that some seal needs to be repaired to prevent pressure from getting into the oiling system.

The port in the reservoir for return oil is above the oil level as recommended by the Rotax manual.

Default Re: 582 Rotary Valve Oiling System seems to be pressurized causing leaks

Is the level of oil in the reservoir going down?

Are you using silica free coolant? (Can be any color but dex-cool is silica free and is what is generally recommended)

Are the hose clams tight? Hoses in good shape? reservoir cracked?
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Default Re: 582 Rotary Valve Oiling System seems to be pressurized causing leaks

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    Is the level of oil in the reservoir going down?

Are you using silica free coolant?
    Are the hose clams tight? Hoses in good shape? reservoir cracked?
    The oil level went down a little over 10 hours of phase 1 testing.

I am using a non silica and non phosphate antifreeze for aluminum engines. There is no oil in the water in the overflow tank and no apparent water in the rotary valve oil.

I put new black hoses recommended for Rotax engines prior to start of flight testing. I had no leaks for the first 10 hours. I pressure tested the reservoir and saw no leaks, not even in the cap gasket.

This is a gray head 582 which had been overhauled after a cold seizure prior to me buying it. The engine now has about 14 hours since overhaul. I removed the oil injection pump after break in due to leaks in the oil lines that developed during break in (I decided the oil pump was another point of failure). I put a plate over the hole where the oil pump was.

I will pressure test the rotary valve system to see if it holds pressure.