Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Adding Fuel Site Tubes

Question Adding Fuel Site Tubes

I recently purchased a Model IV in really nice shape. However, it does not have fuel site tubes or any placard. Previous owner told me you can just look through the fiberglass and see the level - but sorry, maybe my old eyes are getting tired but it seems pretty iffy to me. Anyhow, has anyone added these tubes to an existing aircraft? Is it as simple as buying the kit and some grommets, drill appropriate holes in the tank, and hook it up? If anyone has done this and can share the experience I would appreciate it.
    Roy Helsing
    CFI, CFII, MEI
    Model IV (N149BT)

Default Re: Adding Fuel Site Tubes

I wouldn't do it unless the tank is set up for it with thicker bosses at the places the fittings need to be threaded in.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I wouldn't do it unless the tank is set up for it with thicker bosses at the places the fittings need to be threaded in.
    Unfortunately, I think I have no way of knowing that. I Have the manual the builder used building it - so I can and will look at the plans. However, I suspect that if it had the bosses it would have come with the site tubes and they are not in the packing list he so dutifully checked off.
    Roy Helsing
    CFI, CFII, MEI
    Model IV (N149BT)

If your tank is see through but a bit cloudy ,try some stick on led strips . They work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    If your tank is see through but a bit cloudy ,try some stick on led strips . They work well.
    That’s an idea. Tanks is not see through (or barley so 9see picture) - it is a light to mid brown. The white spot in the picture is just the flask from the camera. However, with that flash it looks like I can see a fuel line, but it is almost impossible to see when just siting in the pilots seat. Maybe an LED strip would help.ABCCC03B-31F4-4478-B44F-903664A05599.jpg
    Roy Helsing
    CFI, CFII, MEI
    Model IV (N149BT)

I added them to my Model III. No special reinforced bosses required. I used fuel tank grommets from JBM Industries like these:
    JBM Industries Fuel Tank Grommets.jpg

The tubes I used the Ethanol proof blue Bing fuel line, even though I don't use Ethanol gas. The barbed 90 deg fittings can be found at lawn equpment businesses or online. A brass wire inside helps keep the tubes straight. Installed the grommets and fittings with a little dielectric grease. I also safety wired the site tubes so they can't slip off. The placards were printed on vinyl and applied to aluminum sheet cut out to fit.

Fuel Placard.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    I added them to my Model III. No special reinforced bosses required. I used fuel tank grommets from JBM Industries like these:

The tubes I used the Ethanol proof blue Bing fuel line, even though I don't use Ethanol gas. The barbed 90 deg fittings can be found at lawn equpment businesses or online. A brass wire inside helps keep the tubes straight. Installed the grommets and fittings with a little dielectric grease. I also safety wired the site tubes so they can't slip off. The placards were printed on vinyl and applied to aluminum sheet cut out to fit.

Fuel Placard.jpeg
    Very nice! Looks like you used the grommets to also hold the placard, correct?
    Roy Helsing
    CFI, CFII, MEI
    Model IV (N149BT)

No, the grommets have clearance to the placard. I probably used some double stick tape to attach, don't recall, it's been awhile.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Fuel Placard.jpeg
    No, the grommets have clearance to the placard. I probably used some double stick tape to attach, don't recall, it's been awhile.
    Thanks. I think I am going to give it a shot.
    Roy Helsing
    CFI, CFII, MEI
    Model IV (N149BT)