Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 912is Sport Cold Air Intake

Default Re: 912is Sport Cold Air Intake

I'm curious if the intake box has holes in the bottom to release the increased air pressure (if there were none) from constantly having the rammed in there from the naca duct. If there is increased pressure wouldn't that be akin to flying with higher air density than the altitude you are at and possibly improving performance?
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Nope. No holes in the bottom of the Kitfox intake duct.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

constantly having the rammed in there from the naca duct.
    NACA ducts are not ram air. Ramp type inlets are intended to draw air without disturbing the boundary layer. In other words, if more air is entering the NACA duct than needed, the remaining air will flow past without slowing down.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    NACA ducts are not ram air. Ramp type inlets are intended to draw air without disturbing the boundary layer. In other words, if more air is entering the NACA duct than needed, the remaining air will flow past without slowing down.
    Interesting. I obviously didn't know that.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Finished up my intake today. I was going to order from Kitfox directly but it was 8 week plus wait. Instead I just went at it myself. Attached a few pictures of the install. I ground tested it today with good results. With an outside air temp of around 32C today I would normally have intake temps reaching 56C and not be able to fly or get them to come down on the ground. Today I was happy to find I was getting a max reading of 40C. Even after 20 min of doing full run up and a few full power aborted take-offs that was the max. Now, I'm not fully happy with the sensor location. I put it in the same spot as Kitfox suggests... back of the intake box. It's reading the temp at the filter. After shut down and pulling the cowling I found the tube leading from the filter to the intake was very hot from the radiant heat so likely the temps were higher as they entered. I'm thinking of testing with the sensor installed closer in the tube. I'll have to make a bracket for this. The other option might be to make a heat shield as well?

PXL_20230714_181202750.jpgPXL_20230714_181206841.jpgPXL_20230714_181209072.jpgPXL_20230714_181214904.jpg
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO