Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Landing Light Wiring

Default Landing Light Wiring

Hi All,

I'm looking to mount a pair of AeroLED AeroSUN landingligts at the intersection of the strut and the wing on my Series 5. I've got a clean spot to run the wires to an inspection panel, but was wondering if anyone had any pointers on how to route the wire through the wing?

Default Re: Landing Light Wiring

I've run wires in my S5 wings in two ways. Some go through the aft spar to the outboard end, then back to their terminal location, while others go through the small gap between the underside of the fuel tank and the false rib, against the aft spar (held in place with dabs of soft-curing non-acidic caulk). Any place they're outside the spar tubes, you'll want to secure wires at least every foot or so, in a way that they can't chafe against anything, or against other wires or pitot/AOA tubes. Self-amalgamating silicone tape is very helpful for that.

Edited to add: An easy way to get a pull string through the spar is to tie it to a wad of cotton or a light shop rag and use a shop vac to suck it through.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thank you Eric, now I just need to fab up a bracket to mount them.

Please post a photo of what you come up with. I'm mounting lights in the same location...
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings