Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transponder Antenna Location

Default Transponder Antenna Location

I have the transponder antenna bracket that Kitfox has and I also know that some of you located the antenna up forward, closer to the landing gear. Pics for reference. I can only find one place where the Kitfox plate really fits and that is farther back in the fuselage. You can see the last joint in the elevator control rods as a reference to where I am finding that plate fits. My question is actually two questions; is where I have the Kitfox plate located really the right place and if not, where should it go? For those who have located the antenna up forward, have you experienced any issues with the landing gear/tires interfering and masking the antenna radiation?

Thanks ahead of time.

Gary

IFF Ant 2.jpgIFF Ant Loc 1.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Default Re: Transponder Antenna Location

I haven't had a problems with my transponder just aft of the landing gear on the pilot's side using the bracket that was welded into the airframe.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Ditto for me.
    I think that location farther back is too vulnerable to tall weeds, etc. and of course a longer coax cable run.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I was able to keep all antennas inside the fuselage and have not experienced any problems.
    Antenna locations.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Ditto for me.
    I think that location farther back is too vulnerable to tall weeds, etc. and of course a longer coax cable run.
    Snapping off that dipole when it was mounted in the back was my thought there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    I was able to keep all antennas inside the fuselage and have not experienced any problems.
    I gotta admit I like this idea. Going to mull this one over but looks like it might be the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    I haven't had a problems with my transponder just aft of the landing gear on the pilot's side using the bracket that was welded into the airframe.
    I keep looking at that plate in relation to the 29 inch behemoth tires and thinking those bad boys are going to cut out a sector of coverage. Good to hear it is working and my worry was wrong.

To all I really appreciate your inputs. So much better to get real world input rather than just guessing at this. Thank you

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Antenna locations.jpg
    Can you provide more pictures or details on that transponder and ADS-B antenna?

I have previously installed a Stratus ESGi transponder in two planes and it used the existing antenna for everything. When I ordered my uAvionics Echo UAT I brushed off the antenna that came with it thinking it was extra. Then I discovered that two very similar looking antennae are normal for everything but the Stratus, and that the antennae have to be at least 36" apart.
    My series 5 didn't come with the luxury of all the brackets and tabs most current builders are able to utilize, so seeing this is perfect timing.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Alex - unfortunately all I have are file pictures in which you can see the antenna/ground plane. I failed to take any to feature them. So, the best I can do is:
    ADSB antenna.jpg

ADSB antenna rough fit.jpg

After making the ground planes I made mounting "legs" that placed the gnd planes level when the plane was at a level attitude and the tips of the antennas about 1/4" above where the fabric would be. HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    Can you provide more pictures or details on that transponder and ADS-B antenna? [...] My series 5 didn't come with the luxury of all the brackets and tabs most current builders are able to utilize, so seeing this is perfect timing.
    Alex, if you don't have a sheet of aluminum laying around, here's what I did for transponder and ADS-B ground planes. Home Depot sells small sheets of very thin galvanized steel flashing. It's in the roofing section, near lumber. Very easy to cut to rough shape with shears, a nibbler or a grinder, then fine-tune with a sanding disc or belt. Punch the center hole with a step drill, give it a couple coats of primer, et voila! While at H.D. grab a stick of 3/8" square dowel, which can be cut into pieces and sprayed with varnish to form very lightweight, non-conductive mounts for the ground planes. I used Hysol to adhere the mounting sticks to the frame and the ground planes to the sticks.

The ground planes do not need to be electrically connected to the airframe, but be sure the antennas are electrically connected to the ground planes (remove a small ring of primer where their lock washers make contact).

The transponder (1090 MHz) should be 5.42" diameter and the ADS-B (978 MHz) should be 6.04" diameter. Slightly oversize is fine; don't kill yourself hitting those measurements. If you want to save time, make them square; it'll make no discernable difference in performance.

IMG_1376.jpg
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

If you’re needing ground plane circles out of aluminum. Drop me a line. I did a big send cut send order and have a few left on my bench. Pay shipping and I’ll send ya as many as you need.

Quote Originally Posted by AvDES LLC View Post
    If you’re needing ground plane circles out of aluminum. Drop me a line. I did a big send cut send order and have a few left on my bench. Pay shipping and I’ll send ya as many as you need.
    AvDes - I feel I owe you big time. (Warning - here comes an unpaid advertisement of sorts.) I had not discovered sendcutsend until your above post and wanted to share (in the spirit of this forum) that this is the place to go. As you've read elsewhere, I found parts other than my muffler that needed replacing. I sent 2D files to sendcutsend, they put them in production immediately and shipped in two days. What you see here are 6 parts out of stainless (two shown in the picture are stacks of two), vacuum mounted, and shipped without a separate charge for postage. I did have to pay one whole extra dollar because the 6 parts didn't make their minimum charge - $29.00.

SendCutSend.jpg