Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good pics of rudder fiberglass

Default Any good pics of rudder fiberglass

Looking for a few pictures of the cuts needed to the rudder fiberglass piece. Attached picture of piece i am looking for pics of. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SNOW JW; 04-13-2022 at 07:37 PM.

Default Re: Any good pics of rudder fiberglass

If you look closely at the fiberglass piece you will see faint scratching of the cutouts. There were on mine.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    If you look closely at the fiberglass piece you will see faint scratching of the cutouts. There were on mine.

Ralph
    Mine as well. Hard to see at first and in my case (old eyes) it took some bright lights.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Thanks guys I'll look tonight

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0020.jpgIMG_0021.jpgJust been doing mine today, yes there are scribe lines but mine did not line up, as you can get to the inside I marked the position of the bearing connection brackets and cut small slots for the bearings to go through, I then opened these slots so as to get full rudder deflection travel, they are a 1/2 inch wide, I have not decided how to cut the vertical but I will make them only large enough to fit the bolts. The bottom slot I have opened a little different to the plans but it does expose the rudder deflection stops and I can get the bolt in.

I'm late to the party here, but my fiberglass has the small outline as well. I trimmed the fiberglass to match that etching.

Related to that... dis/assembly now is pretty straightforward in that I can access fittings and bolts to add washers and nut. However, how the heck does one get this thing back together once these subassemblies are covered with fabric? That is, the covering instructions, have you remove the horizontal stabilizer and elevator, and the rudder for covering, and I'm already not looking forward to struggling with the bolts, washers and nuts for reassembly. Can anyone share secrets and tricks to help make that doable and easier?

I glued the washer to the nut and tied a string to the bolt before using medical tweezers to get in position.
    That was after I spent a bunch of time fetching the washer I dropped inside the rudder.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

Likewise, used hemostats. Gluing the washer to the nut is good but I keep a wax toilet gasket on hand and break off parts of it to hold them together. That wax also works great for the end of a screwdriver to hold a screw. Or put on your fingertip to hold a nut.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by patrick.hvac View Post
    I glued the washer to the nut and tied a string to the bolt before using medical tweezers to get in position.
    That was after I spent a bunch of time fetching the washer I dropped inside the rudder.
    Thanks for that.

I guess one key piece of information is that the instructions say "cutout on one side as required for bolt access". I trimmed the rudder fairing per the etching, but I'll plan to make it a little bigger. As it is now, I can barely get my tools and/or fingers in that opening. Even with bigger cutouts, the resulting drag should still be virtually zero as most of the opening will be behind the vertical stabilizer trailing edge fairing.

I'm just trying to be super cautious because I can't uncut/un-trim that fiberglass. Like most people, I tend to overthink and overanalyze what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Likewise, used hemostats. Gluing the washer to the nut is good but I keep a wax toilet gasket on hand and break off parts of it to hold them together. That wax also works great for the end of a screwdriver to hold a screw. Or put on your fingertip to hold a nut.
    I have hemostats and will plan to try that. Wax toilet gasket is brilliant. I could apply just enough to stick things together, but avoid threads.