Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extra tank for long flights

Default Extra tank for long flights

I have seen these at work before but never took a picture to have a reference too. Seems these would be ideal for a long flight. Anybody ever see anything like this? Car manufacturers use them for long endurance driving. Sometimes I have seen 4 of them in a car in each seatbelt with tubes running to the fuel system. Where could someone get on of these I have no idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Starfox

Default Re: Extra tank for long flights

At my age the tank would be used for a urinal not fuel! Bruce N199CL

Sorry for your loss of time. I still have some left and the context of this question pertained to maybe flying into Idaho or Alaska with extra gas and spending a few days or week or two exploring. That's what excites me! I know some use fuel bags which probably affects cg more than one of these do. Exploring by motorcycle or horseback is always fun. Covering lots of ground on an adventure with one of these has only been a dream of mine. Can't wait till I'm old like you.
    Starfox

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDay7 View Post
    I have seen these at work before but never took a picture to have a reference too. Seems these would be ideal for a long flight. Anybody ever see anything like this? Car manufacturers use them for long endurance driving. Sometimes I have seen 4 of them in a car in each seatbelt with tubes running to the fuel system. Where could someone get on of these I have no idea.
    Im currently in the same boat. Trying to add about 20 more gallons to support Iron Dog up here. More than likely will copy a Super Cub design and have a 50/50 belly pod made. (half fuel, half cargo. Im not too keen on just adding a larger header tank. Want to be able to pump fuel into the wings. Right now I just carry anywhere from 10 to 20 gallons in fuel bags for long trips. Only issue is you have to land to refuel. Will follow up once I come up with something.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Current long distance way of travel. More expensive than a plane too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Starfox

Denalifox, these are actually in cars that go up to Alaska as test mules for car manufactures. Bet you could haul an extra 30 to 50 gallons with all the seats full of gas.
    Starfox

Ive cn those b4, but i think they fill them with water/antifreeze solution to use as weight of havin a car full of people durrin thier testin. I c those test cars all over here in fairbanks alaska. Have a friend that works for the company that does the testin. Ill ask him about those and c what he says they put in them. But i know i would put one in my plane. Hahhaaaaa

… with all the seats full of gas.
    Where are you gonna’ sit ? 🙄
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Sorry for your loss of time. I still have some left and the context of this question pertained to maybe flying into Idaho or Alaska with extra gas and spending a few days or week or two exploring. That's what excites me! I know some use fuel bags which probably affects cg more than one of these do. Exploring by motorcycle or horseback is always fun. Covering lots of ground on an adventure with one of these has only been a dream of mine. Can't wait till I'm old like you.
    Ouch! … that’s harsh! Bruce, you can come visit me and we’ll sit in my rockers, drinkin’ beer ‘til we can’t rock anymore.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime