Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Dar

Default Dar

Hi all, I'm looking to track down a DAR in Mn, just got off the phone with one who works with Cirrus. He doesn't have the right qualifications for Amatuer Built inspections. We got talking about the function codes they need, and so I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure. There are two different DAR catagories, DAR-T and DAR-F. He was thinking one has to be a DAR-T, but I'm wondering.... Also, as far as the function codes, from looking at that on the FAA website, I'm thinking they have to have 47 function code. Does anyone know? Thanks, Jim Chuk

Default Re: Dar

Look to the EAA website. I know navigating it can be hard to find something you know is there. Here is a link to the EAA page:

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bui...ion/find-a-dar

Below is a quote from the EAA website on DARs.

In order to find the nearest DAR you may have to perform two searches, since DARs are authorized through two different FAA offices. DARs authorized through the Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO) are designated DAR-T, while DARs authorized through the Manufacturing Inspection District Offices (MIDO) are designated DAR-F.
    The website also has a "find a DAR" link on the FAA website, here it is:

https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator

Ralph

Jim,

This has become so darn difficult compared to the past because 1) there are very few DARS, 2) the FAA has made their on line search extremely complicated and difficult to figure out.

The cut to the chase: Contact our regional FAA MIDO (Manufacturing inspection district office) These folks have always been direct and very helpful and they can help a person through the muck.

Minneapolis MIDO
    6020 28th Avenue South, Room 103
    Minneapolis, MN 55450-2700
    PH: 612-253-4650
    FAX: 612-253-4662
    Email: 9-AVS-AIR884@faa.gov

I'd suggest a phone call to best facilitate the quest.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks guys. I got back looking in the eaa info, and found that the DAR-F with a 57 function code is needed for amateur built. I found a guy listed in Duluth, (75 miles away) and sent him an email. Thanks for the help. I'll update when I learn more. JImChuk

If it makes your life/search any easier, a DAR-T with function code 46 might also be able to generate an Experimental - Amateur built AWC.

Code 46 — Issue original/recurrent special airworthiness certificates, experimental, for the purpose of operating United States (U.S.)-registered amateur-built aircraft.

Here's the caveat:

1302. Limitations. DARs with amateur-built function code 46, and light-sport function
    codes 47 and 48 must be limited by class (that is, airplane, glider, weight-shift control, balloon,
    powered parachute, powered lift, and seaplane) and complexity (that is, metal, tube and fabric,
    composite, wood, and tube and sail) on their COA letter, and these limitations must be annotated
    in the DIN.

Hopefully the DAR-F in Duluth is your final answer.

BTW - your DAR-F will have a COA letter that will identify any restrictions s/he might have. Hopefully none!!

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up talking to the DAR near me, and it seems like we will have a good working relationship. He has inspected Kitfoxes and Avid Flyers before, so it's not a new thing for him. He is a DAR-F with the 57 function code plus others, so I'm good to go. Time to get back to work on it. I've rebuilt 3 or 4 other planes since I started that Kitfox, maybe it's time I get it finished. JImChuk