Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Glare shield to panel gap

Default Glare shield to panel gap

I am getting close to completing a Model IV smooth cowl although I purchased the kit partially completed with a round cowl. The panel was replaced and I was told the windscreen needs replacing although it seems to fit pretty good with my smooth cowling. My question is how is the glare shield typically attached to the panel? Or is it attached at all? Mine comes out with a 1/4” gap after attached to the old round cowl windscreen. My thought is attaching the glare shield to the panel with small angle brackets spaced about 5” apart. What have others done here? Thanks EBDEA486-6854-4C4C-90C5-B877FCFD596E.jpg3DDFC30B-82D2-46D0-B38C-4695D83480F5.jpg
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

Default Re: Glare shield to panel gap

Mine is attached to the panel with 3 angle brackets (One centre and two sides)

Nice clean looking panel Shawn.👍

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I have recently had the same problem. One plane only needed a rubber capping strip on the panel to take out the small gap .
    The other required 12 mm blocks under the dash mounts to raise the instrument panel up to fit.
    These were both after fitting new screens. I chose to line the glare shield up with the top edge of the top cowling.
    Lowering the glare shield left a height difference and moved the glare shield too far forward as it followed the screen rake.
    The panel on one needed attaching to the glare shield, the other had structural mounts between the panel and cockpit structure(both 4/1200 models)

Cheers
    Dusty

I have a double eyebrow. An afterthought when I added a led strip light underneath. I like the look. I think it would cover your gap.[ATTACH=CONFIG]30069[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Thanks everyone for the help. What I ended up with is fastening small tabs off the back of the panel to fasten the glareshield too. Turned out alright. IMG_2283.jpegIMG_2270.jpeg
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic