Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tugging from the main gear

Default Tugging from the main gear

Here's a topic that I haven't seen discussed. Recently I saw a neighbor tug his stearman with a golf cart connected to the main gear, using a v-shaped tow bar. This is how he moved the aircraft out and back in his hangar. I would like to do the same thing with my Kitfox as I have limited space on the tail end. Has anyone done this? Trying to decide how to best attach to the main gear. Somehow clamp to the gear with rubber protected clamps, or on the outside of the wheels on the axles? 1" steel tubing? The v will come together at a ball hitch to put on my golf cart. I know, folks will say it's a light aircraft, just push it by hand. But, for the time being, my ground is not so easy to push over. All thoughts welcome. Thanks, Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Default Re: Tugging from the main gear

If you have grove gear, it wouldn't be to hard to make a bracket that bolts on to the inside of the gear using the 4 axel bolts. May need slightly longer bolts. I did that with some aluminum angle so I can jack the plane up easy. I have a piece of 2"x6" that is the right length, and it bolts to the bottom of these brackets (one on each gear leg) Floor jack can do one side, or 2 floor jacks do the whole front. JImChuk

PS Mike Patey isn't the only one with wings on his landing gear..... :-) :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Jim. That's not a bad idea. That's a similar position the stearman had eye bolts for easy drop in of hooks at the end of his tug rods.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

BTW, I did forget to mention I have the grove gear.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Here's what I made up. Works good. If I find the install and removal of the blocks to be a pain I'll do as Jim suggested. Hooks to hitch on front of my golf cart, which gets parked in front of the plane anyways.20220330_100957.jpg
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Ken, That came out nice! I’m about to start cutting my cowl for the air intake but it looks as if you installed your air filter on the baffling (I’m assuming). Do you have any pictures of that setup? I like the clean look of your lower cowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Here's what I made up. Works good. If I find the install and removal of the blocks to be a pain...
    Ken, you might consider putting a hinge at the forward end of your wood blocks and an over-center cabinet latch (like this or this) at the back end. Then you can clamp them around the gear legs in a couple of seconds.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Jim's solution is classic tail dragger.
    IMG_20191129_141855-01.jpg
    In this picture I borrowed a tow bar from the Olympic Flight Museum. The one my uncle owns is made of much heavier 2" square steel tube and does not have those little wheels. I loathe his tow bar because it must be balanced and carried on your shoulder. It always has oil and dirt on it and if left in the sun you can count on some 1st degree burns.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Here is a picture of what those "wings" do on my plane. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's funny Eric. A neighbor was over and suggested the exact same thing you said. Thanks Jim, makes sense now.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind