Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Aileron Bellcrank Pivot Clevis Pins

Default Aileron Bellcrank Pivot Clevis Pins

Gentlemen,

The manual states that "the aileron bellcrank pivots on the clevis pins, while the clevis pins are tight in the flap bellcrank". Reaming holes for a tight fit or a bearing fit with bolts that vary in dimensions puzzles me, I tried to ream the flap bellcrank holes for a tight fit by not going full depth on the reamer but one has gone a little deeper so the clevis pin will rotate. Both the flap and aileron bearing surfaces are quite large so is it acceptable for the clevis to rotate in both or should I lock the clevis pin in the flap bellcrank with some bearing lock.

Default Re: Aileron Bellcrank Pivot Clevis Pins

Bump for assistance with build question.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

After I completed that step, I had unacceptable resistance in the control stick in roll. I removed the straps holding the clevis pins in place and removed the clevis pins and re-reamed the holes.

Also, when I first assembled I remembered that there was a mis-alignment of the clevis pins. When I inserted one clevis pin, the natural set of the aileron bracket did not align with the other clevis pin. So, after I disassembled it I tweaked (technical term) the parts to get the pins to align in the same plane.

On reassembly, with grease on the pins, everything moved smoothly with minimal resistance.

Moral of the story, sometimes it doesn't work perfectly on first assembly and may need a little love to make things acceptable.

I hope this helps.

Ralph

Thank you for the reply, I contacted Brandon at Kitfox, his advice was to ream both bellcranks the same but only grease the aileron bellcrank then fit the retaining straps. I have now completed this task and it is super smooth with the pin rotating in the aileron bellcrank.