Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Grove Brake Pads

Default Grove Brake Pads

Hey Guys! Called grove to order some new brake pads and they needed a part number. Searched my manual and all I can come up with is the Kitfox part number. Called kitfox, and they sell brake pads but you have to rivet them together. Grove has the per-assmebled pads. They couldn't tell me what brakes pads to get and kitfox only has a part number that correlates to kitfox. Anyone have a part number for pads? I have the STI with cabane gear and dual piston brakes.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Default Re: Grove Brake Pads

This table shows that the Kitfox uses Grove's 31-5M caliper. The upper right corner of this page shows the pad assemblies for the 31, 32 & 33-XX calipers.

Aircraft Spruce sells two brake pad rivet tools for just this job, one at $29.50 and one at $37.75. One of those and a kit of pads and rivets makes the job a heck of a lot cheaper than buying pre-made assemblies.

There are two EAA Hints for Homebuilders videos that show the replacement process (Servicing Disk Brakes and Replace Cleveland Brake Lining).
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thanks for the info! Drove down to the airport and found the part number on my caliper. (33-5M) Okay so looks like pre-asmbleled are close to 400$ and if you rivet them on yourself they are 50$. That is quite the difference!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Yeah, even at today's prices that buys a fair amount of high octane, ethanol free gasoline.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thank you for the info and video. I am going to order up the nicer of the two tools on spruce and get a set of pads and rivets coming from kitfox. Thanks again!
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Thanks for the info! Drove down to the airport and found the part number on my caliper. (33-5M) Okay so looks like pre-asmbleled are close to 400$ and if you rivet them on yourself they are 50$. That is quite the difference!
    Holy cow. I drive a German car and would be floored by $400 pads. I always wondered why anyone would bother riveting their own, and now I know.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII