Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: STi vs Super Sport Kit Pricing

Default STi vs Super Sport Kit Pricing

Hi,

I am evaluating between building a STi or Super Sport. It will be my first/only airplane, operating from a paved strip in Arizona, and not much back country experience. I have aspirations for some basic back country stuff; but not to the level of some of the crazy stuff I see on youtube, and I think I would appreciate the extra cruise speed. Therefore, I am leaning towards the Super Sport.

However, I noticed the current pricing is a bit interesting:
    Super Sport = $34,995.00
    STi = $39,995.00 (includes ~$7000 worth of factory upgrades from super sport included in kit)

My understanding was that the STi is the same as the super sport except for the wing and wing tips. To equip a super sport the same as the STi (except for the wing), the kit would cost ~$42,000. So the STi wing is valued at -$2000.

My questions:
    Am I understanding the difference between the STi and Super Sport kits properly? If so, is the factory trying to incentivize STi orders over super sport? Or is there an actual reason an STi wing is cheaper?

Thanks!

Edit: Another question, what is everyone's experience regarding the price increases? It appears the price is not locked in at the time of placing a deposit, and is subject to change, even though the deposit is not refundable? Is this the correct interpretation?

Default Re: STi vs Super Sport Kit Pricing

From your mission description, you would be best suited with a SS.
    Make no mistake, it is a very capable aircraft.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912

Default Re: STi vs Super Sport Kit Pricing

As of recently, the price is locked in when you place your deposit. The SS is very capable and seems to fit your
    mission. The STi is a beast. Great STOL performance but you pay in top speed.
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x