Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Getting the garage ready!

Default Getting the garage ready!

Heys guys! New to the forum and have my kit arriving this fall. I’m starting to get the garage ready and trying to focus on what I really need. I have a 3 car garage with some storage already there. I currently have a 4 level storage shelf that is about 8’ long and 2’ deep, a decent 2’x5’ workbench with a lower shelf which has a peg board over it. I also have a husky tool chest for tools and possibly smaller parts. My plan is to add at least one but maybe 2 of the EAA work tables along the side of the garage and above then put 2 peg boards for current project parts storage like Brandon described in their last build video. And I may use the current work bench to build the table to save on wood cost and more importantly have the tables be the same size. My main question is what have y’all done that worked well as far as work tables vs floor space and best orientation? My hesitation is the work tables will take up valuable space but I’ve also heard you can’t have to much storage and counter space.

Any other thoughts on shop layout or shop must haves is much appreciated!

Default Re: Getting the garage ready!

Welcome to the forums! You'll find them incredibly helpful in completing your KF. One thing that might help is to have the fuselage on some sort
    of rolling platform so you can move it around as necessary depending on what you're working on. Also a place to hang the wings and empannage on the wall
    can make things easier.

Good luck on your build!

Victor
    Building SS7
    915iS
    Garmin G3x

Congrats, and welcome!

I agree with Victor. My fuselage sits on two homemade saw horses (wide one in front, narrow in back). It would have been helpful to have the horses mounted on furniture dollies (with locking casters) in order to move it around.

You'll almost certainly want a set of wing rotisseries. Search the forum for lots of good info on those. I slapped mine together in about two hours from scrap lumber and a few plumbing parts. They don't have to be fancy, or very strong. For true luxury, you might also want a cradle to store the wing frames once they're built. If you have wall space to hang them, the cradle would be superfluous.

I don't think you'll really need three large tables. I built one in about 30 minutes out of the two halves of the crate that my replacement elevator and its push/pull tube came in. It's about 10' long by 4' wide and has been plenty big enough for everything I've done.

I've found that a few tools I bought have been invaluable: tabletop drill press, bench vise, belt/disc sander and bench grinder with Scotch-Brite wheel. Some would argue for a small band saw as well, but I haven't needed one yet. If I do, I'll probably go to a friend's shop rather than buy one. I did build a second, much sturdier table on retractable wheels to hold the power tools and vise, but I've only moved it once.

You're on the right track with storage and organization. I just piled parts on whatever I had in my garage and I've had a few moments of terror when I couldn't find things that I distinctly remembered seeing. Knowing where everything is and being able to put your hands on it quickly would be very nice.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Welcome to the group.

I see you are in Boise, EAA Chapter 103 is in that area. We have formed a sub-group in the chapter of Kitfox builders in the area, we currently have 10. You are welcome to join us. I am in Greenleaf, ID just west of Caldwell. If you have any questions or need any local help give me a call or come to the EAA Chapter meeting on March 10th.

Ralph
    Last edited by rv9ralph; 02-22-2022 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks guys! Y’all have all confirmed things I had on my list and solidified them! I unfortunately won’t have room to hang the wings on the wall but maybe the ceiling, which makes me a little nervous. I will probably keep them in rotisseries.

Ralph- I would love to join y’all! Do y’all meet at any point other than the chapter meetings? I’ve been trying to make a chapter meeting for months but my work schedule keeps getting in the way! That will hopefully change after march so hope to see you there soon!

Michael

Ralph- I would love to join y’all! Do y’all meet at any point other than the chapter meetings? I’ve been trying to make a chapter meeting for months but my work schedule keeps getting in the way! That will hopefully change after march so hope to see you there soon!
    We have done some project visits, with some more scheduled.

One other item you will need that never gets mentioned. A good kitchen/postal scale with a gram scale... you will need it to measure Hysol adhesive.

Ralph

I know it's exciting times for you cause I still remember! I hope to follow your build when you get started. Congratulations!
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    One other item you will need that never gets mentioned. A good kitchen/postal scale with a gram scale... you will need it to measure Hysol adhesive.

Ralph
    Measuring by volume with baker's measuring spoons also works just fine.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Like Jim said… measuring spoons worked great for me!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    Congrats, and welcome!

I agree with Victor. My fuselage sits on two homemade saw horses (wide one in front, narrow in back). It would have been helpful to have the horses mounted on furniture dollies (with locking casters) in order to move it around.

You'll almost certainly want a set of wing rotisseries. Search the forum for lots of good info on those. I slapped mine together in about two hours from scrap lumber and a few plumbing parts. They don't have to be fancy, or very strong. For true luxury, you might also want a cradle to store the wing frames once they're built. If you have wall space to hang them, the cradle would be superfluous.

I don't think you'll really need three large tables. I built one in about 30 minutes out of the two halves of the crate that my replacement elevator and its push/pull tube came in. It's about 10' long by 4' wide and has been plenty big enough for everything I've done.

I've found that a few tools I bought have been invaluable: tabletop drill press, bench vise, belt/disc sander and bench grinder with Scotch-Brite wheel. Some would argue for a small band saw as well, but I haven't needed one yet. If I do, I'll probably go to a friend's shop rather than buy one. I did build a second, much sturdier table on retractable wheels to hold the power tools and vise, but I've only moved it once.

You're on the right track with storage and organization. I just piled parts on whatever I had in my garage and I've had a few moments of terror when I couldn't find things that I distinctly remembered seeing. Knowing where everything is and being able to put your hands on it quickly would be very nice.
    Think Eric got it right. I left most of my parts in the boxes but noted in the parts folder exactly where I put the box. That way when I looked up in the book which box Kitfox had shipped the part in, I could find the box. I built a cart that lets me roll the fuselage around which was great for getting it out of the way when working on the wings but being able to bring it back in at night. Congrats on your kit. As others have said, this forum is a great resource with people willing to answer even dumb questions and help you.

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG