Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EarthX

Default Re: EarthX

If you are contemplating an EarthX battery, spend 15 minutes acquainting yourself with the EarthX charging requirements. On their website is a chart of battery chargers that are acceptable for charging their batteries other than the fully automatic Optimate chargers they recommend and sell.
    https://earthxbatteries.com/our-batt...ttery-charging
    I purchased the Optimate from EarthX with the continuous power option and have used it several times for hours at a time while upgrading and programing avionics.
    I also have their jump pack which came in handy the two times I’ve left my Garmin Aera 500 on all night and ran the battery down.
    BTW Steve, I have the EXT-680 for my 912uls and it is mounted in Kitfox Aircraft’s firewall battery box. The “C” version has same cranking specs in a slightly smaller case and slightly less weight.
    B7A19542-F1EE-48D7-85FA-5A59FD490070.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I've always been a bit suspicious of the charging requirements imposed by battery manufacturers. On the one hand, their products are perfectly happy to be charged by an alternator/regulator that throws lots of current at them (limited only by the system's current capability and the battery's internal resistance), and which has bus voltage that varies across the fleet. On the other hand, they imply that while it's parked in your hangar the battery must be pampered with very specific charging profiles. I'd be interested to hear an explanation of the physics behind this discrepancy.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    I've always been a bit suspicious of the charging requirements imposed by battery manufacturers. On the one hand, their products are perfectly happy to be charged by an alternator/regulator that throws lots of current at them (limited only by the system's current capability and the battery's internal resistance), and which has bus voltage that varies across the fleet. On the other hand, they imply that while it's parked in your hangar the battery must be pampered with very specific charging profiles. I'd be interested to hear an explanation of the physics behind this discrepancy.
    Curious indeed. I have wondered the same thing, but went ahead and bought one of the chargers that they recommend . . .

While running our aircraft charging systems should be outputting approximately 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Too much voltage is definitely a problem, but I think the EarthX battery BMS would protect the battery.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I agree with Eric, seems odd, like maybe a marketing thing to sell chargers.
    I do believe you should have a charger on hand; you won't use it much, but when you need it you really need it. In the 8.5 years I have been flying, 912uls, with lithium-iron batteries, I have needed the charger about 3-4 times. Either mistakenly left something on or was doing maintenance that ran it down. I started 8.5 years ago with the AeroVolz lithium battery and bought their charger. When I switched to the EarthX 680C I did not buy the EarthX charger, but have continued to use the AeroVolz charger. It has worked just fine the few times I have used it.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I bought a battery tender from Costco the other day for my Spyder. It has a setting for standard battery and lithium lifpo4. it will charge at 4.5 amps and than go to maintain. I love it on my spyder, I'm thinking it will do this earthx without a problem.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    I bought a battery tender from Costco the other day for my Spyder. It has a setting for standard battery and lithium lifpo4. it will charge at 4.5 amps and than go to maintain. I love it on my spyder, I'm thinking it will do this earthx without a problem.
    Probably, but EarthX has a list of charges they do and don't recommend.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Question? how to install this earthx. I have my battery inside on the firewall in the cockpit. Do I remove the pc680 and throw this battery in place and go flying or is there other things I need to do for the earthx first.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    Question? how to install this earthx. I have my battery inside on the firewall in the cockpit. Do I remove the pc680 and throw this battery in place and go flying or is there other things I need to do for the earthx first.
    Plug and play or swap and fly.
    Dave
    KitFox 6 Taildragger
    912 ULS
    Whirlwind 70” Prop
    Garmin G3x
    All around nice guy

Check what your system charging voltage is. EarthX says it must be between 13.8 & 14.7v. You’re probably good to go, but if not it might be worthwhile looking at one of the new regulator/rectifiers from B&C… they have adjustable voltage capability.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I noticed today that mine is running right at 13.8. now if I did need one of these B and c regulators, what is the number needed for the Rotax 912uls, they don't show on the webpage specifically. thanks
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop