Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 4 jury strut ?

Default Model 4 jury strut ?

What does the model 4 use as the small strap for attaching the jury strut to the wing strut? Thanks
    TJay Larsen

M1 Custom

Jabiru 2200 85hp

Default Re: Model 4 jury strut ?

edited after submission

They are called adel clamps

Don't know the exact size off the top of my head, Aircraft spruce carries them

Here's a photo I snagged off the internet. They are not a normal adel clamp. I don't know what the material is but I think it is a very strong aluminum alloy. Hard to bend and spring right back.

Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

The model IV kit comes with a solid metal clamp; although, would an adel clamp work just the same? There is obviously rubber on the adel clamp that might allow some slipping? Thoughts?
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

I would avoid using Adel clamps. I believe the original parts are steel. How do you know an Adel clamp has the needed properities for this purpose?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

The photo which TJ picked of the 'ol internet look exactly like the ones that were supplied with our S7 kit. The ones that came with our kit appear to be a rather substantial aluminum material. I am not sure what KF series the internet photo is from; And, I am not sure if the original parts supplied with the IV are different or not.

I completely agree with Phil about not using adel clamps - the rubber has some give, can slip and I suspect the material that the adels are made of might not meet spec. The adels would not align correctly either with the centerline of the strut.

In any case - Kitfox will know what is correct for a IV and I am sure if you give Heather a call she can get you the correct part.

You do not want the jury strut to snap off....ever - be sure it is correct.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

The internet photo is a Model 4. Here's a photo of MY Classic 4 before I put the strut fairing on. The clamps fit a little loose on the wing struts so I put one wrap of silicone tape under the clamps.

Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I noticed most have there jury strut sandwiched between the clamp, and this is what I did till now. This is how I had all four setup recently because I didn't see any reference in the manual. I've always been told by A&P that the clamp should be sandwiched together to ensure a good tight fit. I changed one that was significantly loose fit and would slide up and down the strut. My moving the jury strut attachment to the outside of the clamp it is now a tight fit and doesn't move.IMG_2106 (1).jpegIMG_2107 (1).jpeg
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic