Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox V new project build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Kitfox V new project build

Hey,

I have a built and flying 94 V as well, over in south east Michigan. If you get stuck or anything you want to see how it got done, let me know. Not too many of the early V kit like we have. (Although most are here).

Quote Originally Posted by Tjhj View Post
    Hey,

I have a built and flying 94 V as well, over in south east Michigan. If you get stuck or anything you want to see how it got done, let me know. Not too many of the early V kit like we have. (Although most are here).
    Awesome! When do you finish? What engine did you put in it? I will be over in MI for a while in a couple weeks. Would love to stop by and check it out! There does not seem to be to many differences between the early safari and the later outback besides the gross weight going increase. But you are right.. not to many early V's out and about
    Kitfox V building
    "Be Quick, Be Quiet, Be on time" -Kelly Johnson

Mine was finished this year. It has a 912UL in it. Kiev prop. I’ll send a PM with contact info.

A couple things to think about that are different.

1. The cargo kit doesn’t directly fit. Kitfox can’t make the baggage sack for it anymore. So figure out your baggage plan which I saw you doing. The cross bar in the baggage are sucks.

2. If you have the sky star gear, IMO it kinda sucks. It’s not nearly as wide as the later grove gear, so it makes it feel very darty on asphalt and it’s really stiff. I can’t tell from the picture which gear you have. I just swapped to tk-1 gear and it’s a whole new airplane of happiness

3. If you have a “true” 1400 lb kit, there are some upsides and considerations. Being the light weight spars and fuse. Some kits got the heavy spare and light fuse. Assuming it’s both light spars and fuse, you will be lighter than some later models. Mine is 730lbs (admittedly very sparse) with 8.50’s on it. Also your CG’s will be different. If you keep the short nose and Rotax you will be looking for weight up front to get full use of the baggage area. If you put the long nose on it, then it gets nose heavy. The one I have seen that had the long nose done to had 8lbs in the tail wheel to make it work. This really matters if you want a CS prop.

Have fun!

4. The standard elevator works fine if you keep the short nose. If you put the long mount on it, then you’ll want the bigger elevator. It looks like you have it, so might as well.

5. get the bubble doors and do them now.

Thank you all for the comments! It is strange transitioning from builder to pilot!

I should make a correction, my slow flight was at 35.5 but my power off stall is at 38 (tested at 1100#). My empty weight came in at 792#.

Thanks Harlan for all the help! I look forward to flying off the riverbars with you!
    Kitfox V building
    "Be Quick, Be Quiet, Be on time" -Kelly Johnson

Great to finally see your post!
    I am very happy to see you in the air. Your numbers look to be great, and I am envious of your low stall number.
    That is better than any STi wing I have heard and you have the top speed too!
    Your plane looks great, and I can't wait to see it in person.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos