Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Replacing Lexan (Polycarbonate) Windshield - Lessons Learned

Default Replacing Lexan (Polycarbonate) Windshield - Lessons Learned

I replaced my existing Lexan (Polycarbonate) windshield after reading several posts on the forum and watching a Youtube video (I am not the original builder). I concluded that replacing the Lexan with the pre-formed acrylic windshield was risky due to several members breaking their new windshields in the process of installation. So I went to a local supplier and purchased a 4x8 sheet of .093 thickness Lexan for $77. Some have used .062 (1/16) and others have used .125 (1/8). I thought .062 was too thin, and in the video installation of .125 the installer had a difficult time bending the thicker material, so using .093 (recommended by the factory) seemed to be a good choice. Using some old scrap, I discovered that a sharp twist drill bit would suffice for drilling the Lexan. A sharp wood scroll saw blade worked very well for the various cuts. First I heated up the old windshield so it would lay down flat on the new piece for tracing. All but two holes lined up perfectly during installation. After making the cuts I hand-sanded the edges with 150 grit sandpaper, and used a taper bit on the holes (both sides) to reduce the possibility of future cracks. Lexan is susceptible to cracking if the hold down screws are too tight or there is not enough room in the screw holes to allow the Lexan to expand and contract. Holes were about 1/16 oversize to allow for movement. Once I screwed down the lexan on top of the fuselage, I used a rope (ratcheting straps would also work) to bend the Lexan down to the door posts. However, there was no way to get the Lexan into the slot without heating it. During testing I found that Lexan will bend easily if heated with a heat gun, but will start to bubble if heated too much. I partially removed the protective plastic cover (outside only) near the corners and heated up the lexan, which immediately relaxed the material enough to move it into the slot in the door post. There are two problems with Lexan. You cannot polish out scratches. I tried. Maybe someone here can suggest a process that works well. The other issue is the small cracks that form over time due to the bending of the material. In my old windshield, I noticed that the cracks formed several inches from the corners where the sharpest bends were. My theory is that the Lexan was previously heated at the corners only, and not the area 3 inches away from the corners. So I spent a lot of time heating a large area of the windshield in the hope that the material will not crack in the future. Side note: I also painted all the interior support tubes flat black to minimize glare, which was pretty substantial when they were painted yellow. A new windshield sure does look good.
    20211212_152753.jpg20211216_114142.jpg20211216_164311.jpg
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

Default Re: Replacing Lexan (Polycarbonate) Windshield - Lessons Learned

Looks good George!

Headlight restorer will get the minor scratches out

If the scratches aren't deep then getting them out of polycarbonate is rather easy. I made a video of how you can do it easily with a heat gun. I used to have a motorcycle with a polycarbonate windshield and learned this way back then. Has come in handy over the years.

John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

An update on the scratch fixing. I also had a scratch in my windshield, so since I had the heat gun out I took to it. It got the scratch out but distorted the optics. I never experienced this before but I also never tried it on a piece of lexan that is forced into a position that it doesn't want to be in. So, if you attempt this, be aware this can happen. In retrospect, if I would have known, I could have taken the windshield loose from the door posts and removed the scratch with the windshield in a relaxed position, but hindsight is 20/20. In my case the distortion isn't bad so I'll leave it. For about $70 I could put in a new windshield, but it its fine.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    If the scratches aren't deep then getting them out of polycarbonate is rather easy. I made a video of how you can do it easily with a heat gun. I used to have a motorcycle with a polycarbonate windshield and learned this way back then. Has come in handy over the years.

That’s a really good tip… thanks John!! Do you use a digital heat gun, and if so what temperature do you set it to? Digital or not, your technique looks pretty easy.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    That’s a really good tip… thanks John!! Do you use a digital heat gun, and if so what temperature do you set it to? Digital or not, your technique looks pretty easy.
    My heat gun is a cheapo WEN brand 1500 watt with just hi and lo. In the video, I was using the hi setting. Note my second post on this as I would hate for someone to miss that and distort their windshield unknowingly.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    My heat gun is a cheapo WEN brand 1500 watt with just hi and lo. In the video, I was using the hi setting. Note my second post on this as I would hate for someone to miss that and distort their windshield unknowingly.
    Duly noted... I was thinking mostly of my doors & turtledeck. My windshield is Acrylic. Thanks again.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime