Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Inboard Rudder Pedal/Brake Cylinder Mod

Default Inboard Rudder Pedal/Brake Cylinder Mod

Once the rudder pedals are installed the instructions say to check that the brake cylinders don't interfere with the torque tubes of the inboard rudder pedals. If they do, it says to "modify them, if necessary in accordance with Figure E-5". Both my inboard pedals when fully forward, cause the brake cylinders to contact the tube. That keeps the inboard rudder pedal from going as far forward as the outboard pedal. I've gone over the Figure E-5 and can't see any mod shown that the instructions saw is there. I saw the note about the .125 space between the cylinder mount and the tube and did that using an 1/8" drill as a spacer. I could file off the corner of the cylinder but am concerned about how much I can file to clear the tube without impacting the integrity of the cylinder. Anyone have this issue and a pic of how much you successfully removed from the cylinder to free it up? I've attached E-5 so you can take a look and maybe see what I am not as far as a mod and pics of the cylinder hitting the tube. Also the 1/8" space between the bracket and the tube as called out in E-5.

Thanks

Gary

Figure E-5.jpgBrake Cyl 1.jpgRudder Pedals 16.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG

Default Re: Inboard Rudder Pedal/Brake Cylinder Mod

Hi Gary,

Forgive me if you've already considered this, but are you sure that they will touch at the limit of rudder pedal travel, when the rudder is at it's stops? In your picture, the pedal appears to possibly be back farther than it will travel when everything is hooked up and set properly.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Default Re: Inboard Rudder Pedal/Brake Cylinder Mod

John that's a good point to consider. Hopefully that will be the case as I really don't like the idea of modifying things that would be under pressure (when I apply the brakes). Your point pretty much is my way forward unless someone jumps up and says "Oh yeah that happened to me too and here's what I did". I'll sit in the hold short with modifying the cylinders until I do have the rudder all connected and then see how it shakes out.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Gary
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi N68SG