Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Dual cleveland brakes

Default Dual cleveland brakes

Has anyone mounted double cleveland calipers? I see the twin matco setups people run and was thinking simular. I just got some 26 bushwheels and the single calipers will barely stop the 8.50s I have now. I somewhat unintentionally have 3 sets of cleveland calipers so it would be nice if I could get a braket or make one. Curious if this has been done?
    Thanks

Default Re: Dual cleveland brakes

Any other ideas? I don't really want to buy berringers when I have 3 sets of cleveland wheels/brakes sitting around already. The single caliper clevelands aren't cutting it though.
    thanks!

There is now reason that it should not work to do like the matco mod and use 2 cleveland calipers on each wheel. Would have to make a mounting plate for the calipers, but would not be hard for a fabricator or machinist.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

I have considered that as well a year or two ago. I have looked all over to see if there's a dual mount torque plate for the single puck Clevelands. Cleveland does makes a dual caliper system for the dual puck brakes. I have installed them on a C185. That was what I wanted to do with the single pucks. Alas, the only way to do it is to fabricate your own torque plate that would hold the calipers in their correct location. It could be done. Measure then remove the guide bushings and copy the axle bolt pattern and mirror to opposite side along with bushing guide holes. Make the base out of comparable thickness 4130 and weld in 4 new guide (4130 tube) bushings undersized. Ream bushings in a vertical mill to ensure they are straight and parallel. Verify they don't interfere with the wheel or tire and don't bind. If I had the time, materials and equipment I would probably make them.
    “I wish I knew now as much as I thought I knew when I was 18”

Building Kitfox 5 (25 yrs and counting)
    0-200
    A&P, ATP