Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Litium battery question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Litium battery question

Mike I have never read or seen a max alternator output time limit. 18 amps output on a good day and full power is what the stock will put out. It takes about 30 min into the flight before I will normalize my battery volts at 14.1. Edge Performance has a graph I remember seeing for the stock versus the aftermarket one they sell. I will see if I can find it. But based on your description I would have to agree that everything seems normal. You wont see 18 amps until your fully power. Just FYI I know a couple that will never see normalized voltage unless they turn off all the lights. (So they are running the alternator at max entire flight)

Capture.JPG
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Mike - here's a link to my go to page on the Rotax alternator. HTH. http://contrails.free.fr/elec_alt_rotax_en.php

Alternators are limited by the physics inherent in their magnetics. They are incapable of putting out more current than their design limit. If more is demanded of them, their output voltage will drop, limiting current. Unless Rotax under-specified the copper wire diameter in their alternator design, it's not a worry.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings