Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O-320 B2B STi with Super Cub cowl follow up

Default O-320 B2B STi with Super Cub cowl follow up

CCA490BE-480E-4E05-A14A-5DDC47D47B95.jpg
    E601588A-73F2-45DD-97CE-3202E395BE68.jpeg

This post may rub most the wrong way and give hope to many others. Allow me to alleviate the “garbage in, garbage out”.
    I went against the grain with a 320 with a cub cowl and I can say I cannot be happier. Here are my numbers. Empty weight is 963#, me (220) and full fuel I can climb out over 2200’ per min. Fuel burn on average has been 6.5 leaned ROP. I have an 84/37 Catto that is a true stump puller. Take off at gross I am at or just short of 100’ Stall is 39 mph full flapperons with no VG’s. I suspect itll get lower with them. 6# of ballast in the tail I can jam on the brakes with zero question of nosing over. Cruise with this hot prop is slow (90 mph). About to try a fatter prop and hope to see 110 mph. At 1650# (you read that correctly) at 4000’ I was still climbing 1700’ per minute. Aircraft flys just swell at that weight. I do not condone doing so however. Super sporty feel. I paid 9k for the engine. Same weight or lighter than a Titan at a fraction of the price. Never once has this aircraft felt nose heavy. In fact I have had many guys lift the tail and tell me its super heavy. I may actually remove my ballast. Aircraft lives outside in the harsh Alaskan climate, and a complete non issue. This aircraft is an absolute monster.
    Last edited by Denalifox; 09-21-2021 at 08:44 PM.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Default Re: O-320 B2B STi with Super Cub cowl follow up

Are you still planning on installing slats?

Next year is the plan for that. Its already snowing here so Ski’s are my priority.

That's awesome performance at a quarter of the cost of my turbo rotax.
    Want to copy that belly pod when you get it dialed in.

Congrats Lauren, that is a great looking and great performing plane. We're mocking up a baggage door on our build that is similar to yours. You happy with it? Any issues with leaking or the wind getting underneath the front seal?

What a beast Lauren. Thanks for the great update.

Is prop clearance going to be an issue when you put skis on?
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

Quote Originally Posted by Redline View Post
    Congrats Lauren, that is a great looking and great performing plane. We're mocking up a baggage door on our build that is similar to yours. You happy with it? Any issues with leaking or the wind getting underneath the front seal?
    Well seeing as the plan lives outside, Its just a fact that water is going to get in. I just have a series of drain holes to alleviate it. The baggage door I really dont have any issues with water getting in however. I tapered the outside inch or so to press tightly against the frame. I am very glad I installed it. Its very handy for multiple reasons. highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by Jcard View Post
    That's awesome performance at a quarter of the cost of my turbo rotax.
    Want to copy that belly pod when you get it dialed in.
    Basically, all it is is a Wide body Super Cub pod from Carbon Concepts slightly trimmed around the top to fit the couture of a Kitfox. Minimal modification needed

Quote Originally Posted by alexM View Post
    What a beast Lauren. Thanks for the great update.

Is prop clearance going to be an issue when you put skis on?
    Oh yeah, I have a shorter prop Ill switch out once it goes on skis. Ill eventually sell this Catto and get a Sensenich GA prop to pick up some top end.

Quote Originally Posted by Denalifox View Post
    Well seeing as the plan lives outside, Its just a fact that water is going to get in. I just have a series of drain holes to alleviate it. The baggage door I really dont have any issues with water getting in however. I tapered the outside inch or so to press tightly against the frame. I am very glad I installed it. Its very handy for multiple reasons. highly recommended
    Thanks for the feedback Lauren.