Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 1 or 2 Center of Gravity

Default Model 1 or 2 Center of Gravity

This is for you Model 1 and 2 owners...

I'm looking into purchasing what the seller says is a Model 2 (based on the Build Book) and the Factory says 'Model 1' based on Serial number.

From the Build Book, he sent me the CG calculation page with Model 2 Gross weight of 950 lbs to show its a Model 2. The image shows that there is a fuel tank 21 inches forward of the Datum, and this greatly (and positively) affects the center of gravity.

I have never seen any pictures of a Model 1 with a fuel tank in the engine compartment..... I have seen the 'behind the panel' fuel tank, and wing tanks, however.

Please talk to me about YOUR aircraft and/or ones that you owned in the past regarding the CG computation and this fuel component forward of the Datum.

Obviously, an out of balance aircraft is a very bad thing...

Thanks in advance

-Mike

Default Re: Model 1 or 2 Center of Gravity

The fuel tank in the engine compartment is kind of unusual to say the least. As far as model 1 or 2, here are some things to get a quick look at. The Kitfox 1 fuselage is 36" wide at the top of the back of the seat. The Kitfox 2 is 39 1/2" wide. Also, the shape of the door is another dead giveaway. Kitfox 2 and later Kitfoxes are all flat on the bottom for about 2' the Kitfox 1, only for about 1'. As far as the gross weight goes, the early Kitfox 1 had the 850 gross weight. Near the end of the Kitfox 1 run, Kitfox started using spars that were an extrusion, and they had a full length stiffener. If you have those spars in your Kitfox 1, it should have a gross weight of 950. My Kitfox 1 had those spars, and it's serial # is 151. I pulled this picture off the web of a Kitfox 1. Notice the bottom of the door. Keep the questions coming, happy to help.

Thanks! That door matches the one I'm looking at... So its definitely a Model 1.

Its S/N 107. Factory said 1985-86. Build book is dated 1989. Test flown and Airworthiness Cert in 1991.

I'm pretty confused if this is a good craft or not... Learned that the engine had been changed from Rotax 536 to 582 and NOT flown nor even had an Annual since the engine and prop swap... Last annual was 2015.

I'm leaning away from it. But that's leaving me very disappointed too.... Don't know if I'm missing a great opportunity or escaping with my life!

Thanks for your help!

-Mike

If a model 1 was finished and registered in 2021, it would still be a model 1. So that really doesn't mean much. If you are not familiar with this type of plane, will you recognize something as not being right when you see it? At least if the plane was flying, you would have some reason to think all was well. And the conditional inspection would indicate that someone who probably knows what they are looking at has said it's airworthy. As far as the other items go, it's a matter of price probably in the end. If it's cheap enough, and you want to do work and are capable of doing it, then it can be a good deal. But at the same time, Kitfox prices have gone through the roof lately, and some people think a pile of junk is worth a fortune. Had to say without having looked the plane over or knowing the asking price. Not sure I answered your question, but you got my 2 cents worth. JImChuk

AvidFlyer,

You hit is right on the nose.... Since the aircraft's last annual was 2015, and the prop and entire motor were both replaced in 2020, and the owner has never flown it (not even once), and, most importantly, I don't have any knowledge nor experience with these types of planes or engines, I wisely decided that I was getting in over my head too soon. Mind you, the Seller has been nothing but honest and forthcoming in all our discussions. I'm just too dang ignorant to know what the heck I should be asking.

From a technical viewpoint, the CG issue that has me so confused is that the diagram (can't upload it) from the Build Book Shows 'Fuel (header)' at -21.0" from the datum. I know this aircraft does NOT have the behind the instrument panel fuel tank, but it does have a 4 gallon header tank behind the seats. The diagram has hand-written notes about that tank.

For the life of me, without the -21" header AND the Header tank behind the Datum, I can't figure out how to keep it within CG especially as the two 5-gallon wing tanks get consumed and two 150 lb people on-board.

Does anyone have their diagram of the Model 1 or 2 CG and/or understand this 'Fuel' located at -21.0" in front of the Datum?

Thanks everyone!

-Mike

HI Mike, I'm sending you a PM. JImChuk