Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Towing a Kitfox Model 1

Default Towing a Kitfox Model 1

I'm purchasing a Kitfox Model 1 and I'll be towing it over 800 miles, presumably, down Interstate Highways. It comes with a nice trailer too!

Any advice, recommendations, etc that y'all could share with me so that it makes it home in one piece without any holes?

Wings folded, tail-first trailer...

Thanks in advance!!

-Mike

Default Re: Towing a Kitfox Model 1

Do you have the trailering kit?
    Padded cover for the verticals and tube stabilizers for the horizontals.
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Quote Originally Posted by taff View Post
    Do you have the trailering kit?
    Padded cover for the verticals and tube stabilizers for the horizontals.
    I know it has the two long curved tubes for the wings. Don't know about the vertical covers. I haven't personally seen the whole set up yet as I intend to be buying shortly.

Don't mean to blow you off with your question, but this topic has been addressed many times. I have probably posted the same pictures 10 times of how I towed a Kitfox 4 1500 miles from Tx to Mn 6 or 7 years back. Please read the posts you find with the search feature, and then when someone answers to any further questions you ask, you will understand their answer so much better. I really mean well in my answer, it will give you a great foundation of info. JImChuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Don't mean to blow you off with your question, but this topic has been addressed many times. I have probably posted the same pictures 10 times of how I towed a Kitfox 4 1500 miles from Tx to Mn 6 or 7 years back. Please read the posts you find with the search feature, and then when someone answers to any further questions you ask, you will understand their answer so much better. I really mean well in my answer, it will give you a great foundation of info. JImChuk
    Hi Jim,
    Mike is new to the forum and probably needs to find his way around and discover things.
    I am sure when he finds your posts it will handle all concerns.

Mike you say the Model 1 comes with a nice trailer. I guess the original owned has carted the aircraft around a bit.

Ask him if he has the necessary kit.

I used my trailer my 4 every time I went flying, from home to public airport about 30 miles one way.

This is from Kitfox Aircraft, It does not mention earlier models than the 4.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by taff; 08-15-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    You ain't hurting my feelings.. I'm brand new to the forum (just today) and starting asking questions first. I found your post and WOW! its very helpful!

I appreciate everyone's input and beware: I'm sure I'll be posting lots of newby questions in the future!

-Mike

This is one of the many reasons I like the forums way, way, WAY better than facebook. Here on these forums, information is accessible if it 's an hour or 10 years old. Seems to me that on fb, if it's more then a day old it's as good as gone. I'm always happy to answer questions if I can, (maybe sometimes when I can't, or shouldn't :-) The topic of trailering comes up every month or so it seems. And I for sure don't want to scare you away from asking questions. Welcome to the group Mike, the Kitfox 1 is a fun little plane when kept light. Here are a couple of short videos of mine back when I had it. I have several others of it as well on my channel. JImChuk
    DSCN0096 Kitfox 1 takeoff video - YouTube
    DSCN0099 Me landing my Kitfox 1 on my strip - YouTube

I just built this tail support for towing in an enclosed trailer. I have not towed yet but I think it should help take out some of the shock loads.

Very clever!!

When I sold my Classic 4, it was to a guy in Spain.

He arranged for one of those shipping containers and it was up to me to secure the aircraft inside.
    I arranged a wrecker truck to come by and winch it on the bed and then lift it to the container.

Anyway to secure the aircraft I went to home depot and bought ratchet straps and I think 6 or 8 eye screws of good size.
    I figured out where the eye screws were going to go and drilled into the wood floor of the container and screwed them in good and tight with a long bar through the eye.
    Then used the straps on places where they wouldn't damage and snugged that baby down, I didn't want rebound, neither do you! Or it will bounce all over the place.
    The equipped landing gear (front and rear) under compression should keep it from bouncing.

A truck came by to take the container and that was that.
    After a couple of weeks I had an email from Spain that everything got there scratch free and he was very happy.