Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate Hysol!

Default I hate Hysol!

I just finished gluing the ribs to my vertical stab and rudder. I did the horizontal stab and elevator a while back. I find Hysol the stickiest, gooiest, smelliest, nastiest stuff I've ever worked with! But I've heard that Proseal is also that way, when I used to read the Van's Airforce forums. Has anybody out there worked with both? Which is worse?

IMG_5731.jpg
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA

Default Re: I hate Hysol!

Some denatured alcohol and nitrile gloves go a long way! Smelly? Maybe when you first crack the the black open, but it mellows once you mix it…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I use nitrile gloves, the alcohol on the finger trick, AND an N100 (I think) mask to kill the smell. But it still smells when I go back out there an hour later!
    Greg Anderson
    Richland, WA

I much prefer hysol over proseal. They say you get proseal all over your ear simply by calling to order it lol. But as Brandon mentioned, alcohol really helps. It simply doesn’t stick to you if you dip your finger in alcohol before touching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

We (my dad and I) rigged up a way to easily load a plastic bag with Hysol, then tie it off, cut a hole the size of the bead you want, and apply to the part. After that, smooth it out with alcohol on your finger. Super easy and clean.

if Hysol bothers you, then Poly Fiber is going to be a real treat. lol.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

Did you try the cartridges and gun? It's much more expensive but it sure does make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by bstell View Post
    Did you try the cartridges and gun? It's much more expensive but it sure does make things easier.
    I haven't coughed up the money for the cartridges and gun. I have syringes from Amazon that work well. I figured that if my syringes left a little curly-q when you pulled away from a line of glue, the cartridges would do the same.

I have found one trick. If I let it dry for about 45 minutes, I can form the Hysol like it's putty, and it won't stick to alcohol covered gloved fingers. If I try to form it while it's fresh, it sticks to my gloved finger, even if I've dipped it in alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Denalifox View Post
    if Hysol bothers you, then Poly Fiber is going to be a real treat. lol.
    At least I already know how Poly Fiber smells. I attended the EAA fabric class in 2018. They didn't tell us to bring masks and they didn't have any so I got a very bad headache the morning of the second day. I plan to use my P100 mask painting the Polybrush on and will need a positive air supply when I paint the silver and color coats. I don't need to lose anymore braincells!
    Greg Anderson
    Richland, WA

Try these.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal.../icingbags.php
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Proseal wins the negative experience contest, hands down!