Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate Hysol!

Default Re: I hate Hysol!

Quote Originally Posted by LetMeFly View Post
    I plan to use my P100 mask painting the Polybrush on and will need a positive air supply when I paint the silver and color coats.
    A P100 filter won't stop organic vapors and a positive air supply system is a pretty extravagant expense for this project! The "P" in P100 means it's a particulate filter that's effective against oil-based aerosols, but it won't do anything against vapors. You want a respirator with cartridges rated for organic vapors.

Search for "3M half-face respirator" and you'll see lots of reliable options starting at under $20. Here's the 3M respirator catalog. I've been very happy with my 7502 respirator.

For filter cartridges, here's a 3M brochure that explains all the options. What it boils down to is that you want one of the following types:

6001 - Organic Vapor
    6003 - Organic Vapor / Acid Gases
    6005 - Formaldehyde / Organic Vapor

You can get a 3-pair pack of 6001 cartridges for <$35. You'll know when to replace them; in my experience they quit filtering pretty suddenly so if you smell the chemicals, it's time.

If you want to filter particulates as well, get a pair of 501 Filter Retainers and a box of 5N11 (for non oil-based particles; analogous to N95) or 5P71 (for oil-based particles; analogous to P95) filters. The retainers hold the filter pads over the outside of each vapor cartridge.

Remember that the Poly Fiber system is Methyl Ethyl Keytone (MEK) based, so you absolutely MUST protect your eyes any time you open a container of Poly chemical. One drop splashed in the wrong direction can be disastrous, as MEK will rapidly destroy eye tissue. Consider a pair of lab goggles, or upgrade to a full-face respirator if you'll be spraying.

Finally, watch out for fakes. Buy your safety equipment from reliable sources.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

All very good respirator info.

But what if the non pressurized respirator doesn't fit?

If you wear a beard, not much chance of the face mask touching the face and making a seal.

What if the mask is too large for your face?
    What if the mask is too small for your face?
    Make sure you have the correct size that fits you.

A bad fit usually causes (noticed in the case of colored paint) a smear of color by the side of your nose.
    That's because the contaminated air (chemical and pigment) had bypassed the filter system and your breathing a trace of contaminant
    directly.

Way to find out if it's fitting. Cup you hands and lightly place them over the filters. Don't press or you will be makin a good seal.
    Now with hands in place, breath in as you normally would. If you have created a vacuum and the mask clings like the baby alien, then your good.
    Adjust the straps accordingly.

It's called a fit test.
    Completed my Classic 4, May 2003. It had std wings. speedster tail.
    912 UL Rotax. Sold to a person in Spain.

Completed a Skybolt December 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    A P100 filter won't stop organic vapors and a positive air supply system is a pretty extravagant expense for this project! The "P" in P100 means it's a particulate filter that's effective against oil-based aerosols, but it won't do anything against vapors. You want a respirator with cartridges rated for organic vapors.

Search for "3M half-face respirator" and you'll see lots of reliable options starting at under $20. Here's the 3M respirator catalog. I've been very happy with my 7502 respirator....
    I'm using 3M 60926 cartridges on my half-face respirator (6200 I think). They say it protects against "certain" organic vapors. Looks like the 60926 cartridge covers what the 6001 can do. But the 6001's are cheaper. So looks like I was using the right stuff, just paying too much for it! Thanks Eric!

As for MEK, I do have some lab goggles but it's hard to fit the mask, goggles, and glasses all at the same time. I was thinking about one of 3M's full face masks, if I can fit them over my glasses. I'll look into that more.
    Greg Anderson
    7SS in "production" : https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=ganderson
    Richland, WA