Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Plywood

Default Plywood

When making brackets to support a GPS antenna, magnetometer, pitot, or anything else that you may want to locate in the wing, what type of plywood is acceptable? I think Kitfox may laminate the 5mm and the 2.5mm Finnish birch ply that the use to build the wing ribs as I have seen a picture of a Garmin pitot mount and the ply had 15 layers.

Default Re: Plywood

I just ended up using the hobby boards from Menards.

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-w...5533736&ipos=1

Make sure to varnish them as well. The sticker says not for aircraft, but it isn't like you're using it for high strength applications. Used it for the pitot mast mount and magnetometer.

Looking at the link, make sure to get the appropriate thickness.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Default Re: Plywood

Paul,

Don't know if you have a Menard's in England; however, if you don't, in addition to conventional lumber yards, often craft and hobby shops have the same materials; (with the same disclaimers - written by A.R. highly paid Lawyers/Solicitors). Not sure how aviation regulatory authorities view such disclaimers in England, even if it is not for structural airframe parts.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN