Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Inside lighting

Default Inside lighting

What did you guys use for interior lighting, for night ops, on your kitfox builds?
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop.
    https://www.youtube.com/@KitfoxPilot/videos

Default Re: Inside lighting

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    What did you guys use for interior lighting, for night ops, on your kitfox builds?
    I don’t plan on installing lights in the fox but when I built my RV8 I used a simple led light strip with a sticky backing under the glare shield. I also used a 12v universal dimmer with a twist knob from amazon or eBay. The lights were similar to these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18235900753...EAAOSwPW9a0~FY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

I went with the light strip like Benbell did on his his RV. Got it from Stein Air and it came with a dimmer.

Photo is with the dimmer set to max - please disregard the lighter patches on the top half of the panel (glare from the building lights). Also have the map light with a separate switch just above the throttle and a red automotive LED located located by each rear spar attach point to provide a low intensity general red light throughout the cockpit.

FYI - the glare shield strip from Stein has worked perfectly from day one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (73.3 KB, 152 views)
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=41872
    I have a map light overhead then I also have the strip LEDs under the glare shield. This switch does turn on the LEDs at a fairly bright setting. Im on the ground within 30 min of sunset so Im doing OK with that. I controls the map light pretty nicely but I don't really have any use for it as I don't carry maps. I originally planned on flying at night but I didn't enjoy it as I once did when I was 20 years old.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'm using an el ribbon on the underside of my glare shield as seen here
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Keith,

Nice panel; and, if I am seeing colors correctly, your under glareshield light is green - what I can tell you about that is your checklists with red text for important items will stand out really well. I like it.

With the standard red lights I have, I made sure my emergency checklist items were green, which makes them really stand out.

I have always thought it a little quirky that many flight schools have the standard red lights for night work, then have red text e-checklists

I am sure an artist could tell us more about complementary colors and ability to read text - all I know is I took my color samples, red flashlight and took them in a dark closet to figure out what worked best - if you do that, be real sure to tell you family what you are up to!
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN