Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce's custom covers

Default Bruce's custom covers

Has anyone bought/used one of the custom covers from Bruce's Aircraft Covers? I'm thinking of buying one. With the sun in Arizona I wonder if it would hold up very long. I park in a covered tie down for lack of hanger space at KGEU. Most of the plane is protected from the sun but we also get a lot of dust so I'd like to slow it down from getting inside and I'm wondering if one of these covers would be worth the time, effort, and money to buy.
    Maverick
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Default Re: Bruce's custom covers

If you do get one, be sure it fits tightly and consider adding additional straps to prevent it from slapping against the aircraft when the wind blows.

I once put a nice cover with a soft lining on my car in Oklahoma City when I deployed overseas for three months. I came back to find that the wind had caused the cover to slap against the top surfaces of the car, removing a considerable amount of paint from the hood, roof and trunk lid.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Kitfox sells a nice custom cover that fits very well.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have two of Bruce's covers. A heavy duty and a lightweight travel covers. The heavy duty one is too big and bulky to carry in the plane but I bring it in the camper to OSH and other camping+flying events we do.

IMO having seen and both, Bruce's are far superior to the Kitfox offering. Sorry guys, but that's the truth.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I purchased their light weight version for cover during the few times my plane is tied down outside - and, like it. Compared to what I paid for other covers in times past, it is a good deal.

Had a buddy order one from Bruce’s for his model 4 a couple months ago. Tried for a couple hours to make it work but it just didn’t fit his Kitfox at all. They did allow him to return it for a refund even with his N-number embroidered so there is that. Never had a Kitfox Aircraft cover not fit.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I like my cover from Kitfox also. It’s made from a poly material that I knew of as “Evolution 3” that was used for many car and other covers. It’s very light, but has some cushiony thickness, with a waffle texture that helps prevent scratching from any dirt that might get between it and the windows or airframe. It “breathes” but also sheds water. It is a bit of a pain to take on and off, but I can’t see any way it could be simpler and still cover the important areas that it does. Mine’s usually in my airplane all the time.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I didn't know about the Kitfox cover. Thanks. Prices are comparable. My concern is my ELT antenna. It's located just aft of the turtle deck and I'm wondering if it would interfere with the cover. I wouldn't want the cover to have to be left loose to accommodate the antenna. Bruce asks about antenna positions and accommodates for it. Does anyone know if Kitfox does this?

The wind in Phoenix has been unusually brisk this year and far more frequent so, I would not want the cover to fit loosely. Having lived in Amarillo for 45 years I'm very aware of what damage tie down straps in the wind can do to just about anything short of concrete.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I just got mine from Bruce about 2 months ago. Love them. He will ask you about location of antenna etc to make sure it fits correctly. I got a the heavy duty canopy cover and the winter cowling cover and wheel covers. Took a little while to figure out the canopy cover, but once I did it fit great.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

If you look at "Denny Kitfox" on their website you will see Full Kitfox cover on a SS7 that is parked on Catalina Island. When I first came across that Kitfox I was impressed with the cover. You can see in the pics how well they have accomodated the antenna and even the hand hold at the hip. I don't think you can get a better fit IMO than the one Kitfox sells but it will only protect the glass on your Kitfox. As John states, it is really nice. Not fun to put these on in wind I can attest.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X