Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Filler Neck Cutout on Laker Leading Edge

Default Filler Neck Cutout on Laker Leading Edge

Hi All:

I am fitting the Laker Leading Edge to an SS 7 wing. My measurements tell me that the diameter of the hole needs to be about 3 inches. Unfortunately, the aft edge of the Laker fiberglass does not neatly pass through the center of the filler neck, so I can't center the cutout on the center of the filler neck. It turns out that about 5/8ths of the circle lies forward of the center of the filler neck while the remaining 3/8ths of the circle lies aft of the filler neck center. I have toyed with a few methods to cut the hole. A dremel sanding bit will work, but may be difficult to get a nice round cutout. I tried using a circle cutter ("fly-cutter") in a jig (using scrap pieces), but it seems to rip up the fiberglass. I have even thought about drilling a series of small holes around the circumference of the hole and then connecting them with a knife or other tool. This would leave an edge like the perforations on a postage stamp that could be sanded smooth.

How have you guys done this cutout? Am I missing a simpler way? I have also thought of using a 3" hole saw, but I'm afraid the somewhat course tooth pattern will rip up the fiberglass.

Thanks

Fred
    Building7SS
    Still thinking about engines.

Default Re: Filler Neck Cutout on Laker Leading Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Doggitz View Post
    I have even thought about drilling a series of small holes around the circumference of the hole and then connecting them with a knife or other tool. This would leave an edge like the perforations on a postage stamp that could be sanded smooth.
    This sounds like a safe way to approach it.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I used an orbital sander with 120 grit. Get the fiberglass in place and sand the top over the ring it will get perfectly thin leaving a nice flat edge to HySol to.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SomeDay7; 03-26-2021 at 10:06 PM.
    Starfox

use a piece of your scrap and overlap it onto the LLE. Attach the two pieces with clamps or whatever and then drill down through your scrap using a hole cutter. Of course your center drill will not be drilling into your part as it will be off set the desired amount.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks for the suggestions

Fred