Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Looking for a DAR

Default Looking for a DAR

Hi everyone,
    I’m close to finishing my latest aircraft and was wondering. What is the going rate for airworthiness inspection
    in your area?
    Can anyone recommend a DAR for the north east corner of Indiana. In. Mi. Oh. Area
    So far the prices I’ve got are a lot more than I paid a few years ago.
    Many thanks. Mike

Default Re: Looking for a DAR

Warning - this is a rant; not an answer.

Mike - I'm not too surprised. I had to pay an exorbitant amount last June ($1,000). I tried to talk to the FAA to have them do it but they wouldn't answer the phone or return my calls. I didn't plan on too much success but wanted to poke around at the names of local DARs that had good reports. At that time they (FAA) had to work from home and couldn't go into the field unless it was an emergency. I've been told that has changed in some areas. So, my guess is that some DARs took advantage of the situation (if you get what I'm saying politely.) What was worse, this gent walked around the plane once, took 3 or 4 photos, did the paperwork and left. But, he did give me a break - decided not to charge for mileage. What a guy. Anyhow, my experience may be what you are experiencing. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    Warning - this is a rant; not an answer.

Mike - I'm not too surprised. I had to pay an exorbitant amount last June ($1,000). I tried to talk to the FAA to have them do it but they wouldn't answer the phone or return my calls. I didn't plan on too much success but wanted to poke around at the names of local DARs that had good reports. At that time they (FAA) had to work from home and couldn't go into the field unless it was an emergency. I've been told that has changed in some areas. So, my guess is that some DARs took advantage of the situation (if you get what I'm saying politely.) What was worse, this gent walked around the plane once, took 3 or 4 photos, did the paperwork and left. But, he did give me a break - decided not to charge for mileage. What a guy. Anyhow, my experience may be what you are experiencing. Good luck.

Not a rant at all, Exactly what seems to be happening now. Add about 600 plus 50 cents a mile and maybe
    an overnight stay. That’s the high side and about 1500.00 on the low side. Talked to my local
    FISDO and they put me on the schedule but made it very clear I’m very low on there priorities.
    Where is the EAA on this ?? Very sad.

Similar situation as Darrel's... the guy spent hardly any time at all, found nothing wrong and didn't take any pictures. Did the paperwork then sprung the price on me - $800, and this was in 2018. He also messed up the paperwork 3 times and had to resend the certificate to me 3 times when the FAA kept rejecting it ! That was about $300 above the usual charge in this area at that time, and he was the only guy available. He did invite me to stop over at his private grass strip anytime - it didn't make me feel any better. The FAA was hit & miss and supposedly probably at least a few months before they could do it . A friend had his helicopter inspected by the same guy very recently and was charged $1000. So, at least around here, the increase didn't seem to have much, if anything to do with the pandemic.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Seeing this issue come up over and over has me considering becoming a DAR. We have a good experimental DAR in the Boise area so I don't know if our FSDO would allow another. It sure would be nice to have some DARs that would do a proper job at a fair price.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

My curiosity provoked me to look into how one becomes a DAR. First article I came across happens to be my DARs article in Kitplanes Magazine. I feel like I stole my inspection after hearing your guys costs. I had access to three different DARs in Southern CA. Dave has his airplane just two hangar rows over from mine at Chino so no travel expense for me.
    Becoming a Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR) (kitplanes.com)
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Phil, considering your qualifications, I believe you'd be an excellent DAR. Contact the MIDO in the Boise/Nampa/Caldwell area. The MIDO covers more territory than the FSDO and would likely go along with more than one DAR. But, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know given your IA status.
    Fred

PS. I paid $400 for my DAR inspection. Very thorough, took several pictures, looked at a lot of my builders pics, and did lots of education. Only had one squawk. I had to change the N number because the Font on the letters and numbers were not block. He signed off on it with the request that I put on the correct ones and send him pics of the new ones via e-mail. Very positive experience.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

My guy in November came from your geography. $1,200

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer View Post
    My guy in November came from your geography. $1,200
    EAA had him listed along with two others for Phoenix MIDO. I sent him an email and he informed me that he had moved up there. I'm glad he did at that price.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ