Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Sept '08 KOTM - Steve Wilson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Submit your plane for KOTM!

Rocky, don't be bummed, achieve worldwide fame and the adoration of your Kitfox peers by submitting your plane for KOTM. The 'sticky' message at the top of this forum has the instructions. It'll stay in the forum forever unlike the front page of the site which will change at the whim of the webmaster.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

Default 85DD Short Take Off Winner

Just for fun, I just googled "N85DD" and came up with a Kitfox news letter dated June, 1989 which stated, "We won the short-field take-off competition at Watsonville again this year with N85DD, for the fourth time in the four years we've been there". Kind of cool. Try googling your N number. You might be surprised at what you find!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: Sept '08 KOTM - Steve Wilson

looks awesome, did you do any modifications to increase the usefull load? I've read that the biggest weakness in a kitfox 1 is the lift strut where it connects to the fuselage.

Durham66,
    I have done a ton of mods on my plane. But the one you are asking about, raising the gross weight, was done by Dan Denny. Dan changed the wings & struts to model III wings & struts. I spoke with Dan about raising the gross weight to 1050. He said I could easily do that with the wings and struts he installed as long as I went back to phase one testing and did all the proper tests, which I did. My plane now has a tested and notated gross weight of 1050. It has been flown many times at a higher gross than that. Now I am changing the cross tube brace in the cabin ceiling to the same as the model IV, along with other mods.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

2016/2017 Mods: I try to update my plane at least once per year. Last year (2016) we freshened 85DD with a new paint job. No big changes, but updated the paint style just a little. This year it's time to update the cabin bracing from the old style crossbar to the new style. This will both strengthen the cabin and eliminate the old crossbar that was always a problem for the passenger (crossbar went directly over the passenger's head). A new Lexan windscreen and cabin top are being made & installed at the same time. The result:

Also replaced the old heavy VSI and Altimeter with a neat little Belite Digital Altimeter, VSI, OAT and Density Altitude instrument. The new instrument is made on a 3D printer with a total weight of 2 ounces. I've found it is very accurate.

And, speaking of Skunk Works (we we're weren't we?), 85DD is currently in the local secret, highly classified mod shop getting another "new and improved" backcountry mod. To be revealed soon .....
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    2016/2017 Mods: 85DD is currently in the local secret, highly classified mod shop getting another "new and improved" backcountry mod. To be revealed soon .....
    So your converting it back to a Tail Dragger?
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    So your converting it back to a Tail Dragger?
    Paul, I have considered doing that MANY times. Where I fly (actually land), converting back to tail wheel really would be a big help. However, my plane is shorter than yours and as such, it has a VERY QUICK response on the ground; and frankly, I really like to see where I am taxiing! So, no, not converting it back, yet. But I think the new backcountry mod will be awesome! ....
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page