Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Streamlined Lift Struts and Jury Strut Fittings

Default Streamlined Lift Struts and Jury Strut Fittings

I have the streamlined lift struts on a 7SS. I am at the stage where the jury struts are fitted to the lift struts and spars. My kit came with the brackets for the traditional round struts, but KF remedied the oversight and I just received the correct fittings (brackets)

The manual calls for AN 3-4 hardware, but that is too short and I will need to go to AN 3-6, with some washers.

They are very tight fit around the lift struts, but I am able to get them together without deforming them (string test). Unfortunately, the manual describes the fitment for the traditional struts, not the streamlined struts. After I get everything lined up and use a plumb bob to get the front and rear portions of the jury struts in line, I get an odd angle of the front clamp around the lift strut. The manual talks about the fact that the jury struts should line up with the center of the lift struts. Because of the angles, that seems impossible. My rear jury strut is just about 53 inches from the rear strut root, so that seems correct. Here are some photos of what the strut/clamp junctions look like.

If anyone else has dealt with this, I would appreciate your input (I did see one earlier post about the streamline brackets being too short).

Any photos would be helpful

Thanks

Fred
    7SS
    Engine choice - depends what mood I'm in at the time

IMG_0015.jpgIMG_0014.jpg

Default Re: Streamlined Lift Struts and Jury Strut Fittings

Here is another photo that show the alignment of the forward vs the aft jury strut brackets on the lift struts

IMG_0025.jpg

Thanks

Fred
    KF 7SS Building

Default Re: Streamlined Lift Struts and Jury Strut Fittings

Your problem is specifically mentioned in someone's build thread here. I recall reading that he didn't think the parts would fit but then figured out a trick to make them work. Sorry I don't remember the builder - it was way too far down the road for me to worry about.

Maybe just a search for Jury Strut Fittings will come up with it. It has photos and a great description.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII