Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: AVID SPEED WING info needed

Default AVID SPEED WING info needed

New to the forums, but long time kitfox enthusiast. I've been in the market for a IV-1200 but the pickings are a little slim right now, so I have expanded my search to Avids. I found a 1995 AVID Speed wing with TTAF 475 and a brand new Rotax Rick 670 (92HP). The owner is an A&P and did all of the work himself. I'm very unfamiliar with the airplane / eng combo and was hoping someone here might have some more experience. I'm really looking for any advice but if anyone knows of common Avid part/ airframe items to look out for when I go take a look at it, it would be very beneficial. Avid doesn't post any STCs on their site and specific information about them is difficult to come by. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: AVID SPEED WING info needed

Avids are pretty nice planes, I've had 4 of them so far. Pretty much anything that applies to the early pre Kitfox 4 Kitfoxes would apply to an Avid as far as what to look for. Rib tails that the flaperons hinge on are good to take a long look at for any signs of rot for instance. Also, and I don't mean to drag you off of this very good site, but the AvidFoxFlyers forum is probably more geared to the Avids and early Kitfoxes. JImChuk

FYI there aren't any STCs on experimental planes of any type.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    FYI there aren't any STCs on experimental planes of any type.
    Ah, thank you. What I meant to say was service bulletins or common maintenance concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Avids are pretty nice planes, I've had 4 of them so far. Pretty much anything that applies to the early pre Kitfox 4 Kitfoxes would apply to an Avid as far as what to look for. Rib tails that the flaperons hinge on are good to take a long look at for any signs of rot for instance. Also, and I don't mean to drag you off of this very good site, but the AvidFoxFlyers forum is probably more geared to the Avids and early Kitfoxes. JImChuk
    Thank you for the info. I will create a thread on that site.