Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aircraft Maintenance Tasks and Intervals

Default Re: Aircraft Maintenance Tasks and Intervals

Ralph,

Thanks but that's 7 pages long. Didn't know if someone had made up a one page easy view grid for the intervals. I've been meaning to make one. It's probably time.

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    If you feel those items, and others, are important for an annual, just add them to the list. I have added about 1/2 dozen items to my checklist.
    The fuel filter definitely needs to be added if it is not part of the engine 100 hour list.
    I personally don't check tank finger strainers; they are very coarse and if they ever start to plug up there will be early warning in the fuel filter. They are also very difficult to check for no good reason.
    Spar hinges have never been a problem area.
    Thanks Jim!

I was just paranoid I was missing some checklist somewhere that would put me in legal trouble with the FAA. What you say about the finger strainers make complete sense, there would be plenty of warning. In the end, we are the manufacturer and have the knowledge about what maintenance is prudent to do on a yearly basis.

Thanks again!

Scooby

My annual, is actually an ongoing never ending process, and once a year I sign off the paperwork.
    Some things are seasonal like prop torque, fuel injection pressures, etc. I'm not sure if a once a year
    big teardown is really a great idea. I tend to think as a one man operation I do things better, and
    more thoroughly if I just focus on one area at a time.

This process is better, because I'm not in a rush, and I tend to pay extra attention to double checking
    my work when I am not in a hurry to get through a big list of things.

For example recently I completely reworked my tailspring, tailwheel, tailwheel tire, and associated
    hardware. This was pretty much a weekend operation. Speaking of which I still cannot understand
    why people tend to not like Maule tailwheels. Mine is simple, works well, very rugged, and I have had
    absolutely zero problems with it.

Next I spent a lot of time servicing plugs, mag timing, looking at the starter, oil and filter, etc.
    this was another weekend.

Another weekend I replaced the main tires, and relined the brakes.

Pretty soon I will yank the seat, and work around the header, and while the seat is out inspect
    everything under there. That will be a weekends worth of work.

Whenever I'm around some moving linkages, etc. I tend to say "oh, better squirt some lube
    on these while I'm here". So that just gets done, here and there, and sort of informally

By the time a year rolls around, I will have looked at and serviced everything, and a lot of it will
    be based on condition. However, I won't be doing a one shot "annual inspection"

Jeff