Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: STi wing root covering on number 1 rib

Default STi wing root covering on number 1 rib

Hello,

I'm having some trouble deciding on how to cover my STi wing at the number 1 rib.

I see guys wrapping only to the number 1 sti rib and the original number 1 rib would be raw wood with varnish and paint. The kitfox factory plane has this.

My thought is to wrap all the way to the original number 1 root rib. I could make a slanted "tent" profile instead of the straight 90 degree "fence" profile. Then the wood would be covered and the fabric would be a bit stronger because it would wrap 180 degrees around the #1 rib capstrip.

I have attached a photo of the wing. Feel free to draw on how you would do the fabric. Also is a brief youtube clip.

https://youtu.be/Ss56XyoF1Yw

-Roger

PXL_20201215_121006057.jpgPXL_20201215_115624055.jpg
    Roger
    Building
    STi, 912is

Default Re: STi wing root covering on number 1 rib

Not an STi builder but doesn't the skylight overlap the first smaller rib? If so how would that angled fabric work.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Quote Originally Posted by rwoneill View Post
    Hello,

I'm having some trouble deciding on how to cover my STi wing at the number 1 rib.

I see guys wrapping only to the number 1 sti rib and the original number 1 rib would be raw wood with varnish and paint. The kitfox factory plane has this.

My thought is to wrap all the way to the original number 1 root rib. I could make a slanted "tent" profile instead of the straight 90 degree "fence" profile. Then the wood would be covered and the fabric would be a bit stronger because it would wrap 180 degrees around the #1 rib capstrip.

I have attached a photo of the wing. Feel free to draw on how you would do the fabric. Also is a brief youtube clip.

https://youtu.be/Ss56XyoF1Yw

-Roger

PXL_20201215_121006057.jpgPXL_20201215_115624055.jpg
    the only concern with the "tent" method is youd have to make sure you don't use too much glue around that corner. Its a pretty tight fit with the metal cap strip on the butt rib and the #1 rib. If you gum it up too much you may run into a fitment issue.
    S7 STi O-320 currently flying

May have fitment issues. Here is a pic I took of a factory build
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Starfox

Talked to John M. at the factory. This is an aesthetic choice.

The poly fiber only needs 1 in to have a strong bond so one only needs to bond to the top of the capstrip to be safe.

I decided to wrap around the capstrip and down the filler web face.
    Roger
    Building
    STi, 912is