Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS7 STI in an enclosed trailer?

Default SS7 STI in an enclosed trailer?

I've read a couple of discussions on here about trailering your kitfox, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever managed to put an STI in an 8.5' trailer. At 8' 7.5" width with the wings folded I originally thought, well, that's not going to work. Then my wife asked why you couldn't run the main tire on one side up a on a ramp so the airplane was at an angle to make it fit.

While this in theory seems doable, I'm concerned about the side loading then on a bumpy road... or possibly fuel leaks from the angle.

Has anyone done anything like this?

I already have the trailer... I would rather have the STI, but I couldn't put it into the trailer, then would get the Super Sport instead.

Thanks, Mike

Default Re: SS7 STI in an enclosed trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFairbanks View Post
    I've read a couple of discussions on here about trailering your kitfox, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever managed to put an STI in an 8.5' trailer. At 8' 7.5" width with the wings folded I originally thought, well, that's not going to work. Then my wife asked why you couldn't run the main tire on one side up a on a ramp so the airplane was at an angle to make it fit.

While this in theory seems doable, I'm concerned about the side loading then on a bumpy road... or possibly fuel leaks from the angle.

Has anyone done anything like this?

I already have the trailer... I would rather have the STI, but I couldn't put it into the trailer, then would get the Super Sport instead.

Thanks, Mike
    Then the landing gear would have to stick through the side wall of the trailer.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

That would likely be true if the gear was also 8 1/2 ft wide... and while I can’t find a spec that tells me the gear width, from the drawings and photos with the wings folded... it does not appear that the gear is that wide. That leaves some room to work with. Thus my question.

Thanks

The gear doesn't have to be that wide to be a problem. This is a scale drawing of a Kitfox 4 with stock narrow kitfox 4 gear and the Nanco 21 inch tires. I clipped the wings to the width of the folded STi at 8'-7.5". I then rotated it to fit in-between the 2 vertical lines that are 100" apart. Even on the narrow gear the tire sticks through the side and the airplane has to be rolled quite a bit to fit the wings. I chose 100" because you are going to have walls at least 1" thick per side on a 102" outside width trailer. On top of that, this is the Kitfox 4 gear and there isn't an STi gear that is anywhere that narrow.

tilted.png
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Thank you, this was helpful. I was going to attempt a CAD drawing to test fit, but as stated, have been unable to find gear dimensions.

Well I pulled a 3 view drawing down off the Kitfox website and imported it into Fusion360 and overlayed all the measurements needed to model this and ended up with the landing gear extending 27" past the door opening, or approximately 21.5" through the wall! The tilt angle required to get the STi wings through a 90" door opening was pretty high too.

The 3 view had the standard spring gear, so not entirely accurate for the V cabane gear, but close enough that I have no doubt it would never work.

So I guess if I want to use my enclosed trailer, I'll have to stick with the Super Sport. If I want the STi, then it would have to be an open flat bed trailer.

I live in Alaska, and will likely end up pulling this airplane through Canada several times... so an open trailer just does not seem like a good solution.

could you do something like this on a flatbed trailer?
    https://www.aircraftcovers.com/gener...-super-sport#5
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

My concern with a cover like that is that it would flap and rub at highway speed. I've seen considerable damage done to wind screens from a cabin cover on airplanes tied down at the airport after a high wind event.

Have a 10' wide enclosed trailer built and call it good.
    You can oversize at night in most western states at this width.
    Mount up a sign and a light on the trailer buy your permits and go.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFairbanks View Post
    My concern with a cover like that is that it would flap and rub at highway speed. I've seen considerable damage done to wind screens from a cabin cover on airplanes tied down at the airport after a high wind event.
    Yeah, there is that. . .
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ