Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Are These Factory Floor Mats Too Long?

Default Are These Factory Floor Mats Too Long?

Trying to fit my factory floor mats and they seem about 1" too long. Feedback from someone who has installed these would be appreciated.

The first two photos show the mats positioned "forward". The notch for the bolt seems appropriately placed and the carpet doesn't bunch when the stick in full forward. However, the fit at the rudder pedals doesn't look right. The forward Velcro would be stuck to the rudder tubing and the notch doesn't fit around the bracket on the left.

The third and forth photos show the carpet moved aft. Now the bolt notch is awkwardly placed and the carpet, in front of the stick, bunches when the stick is full forward. But the placement around the rudder pedals makes more sense. The forward Velcro would be stuck to the floor rather than the pedals. And, with my finger controlling the fabric curl, the carpet fits neatly around the rudder bracket.

Overall length of the mats is 27 inches. If my sewing machine could handle the thickness, I would cut an inch of the front, rebind, attach velcro and be done. But the domestic machine won't do the job so it will be a return to the factory and wait or find someone local who does carpet binding. Just wanting to double check to see if I'm missing something obvious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Default Re: Are These Factory Floor Mats Too Long?

Carl, looks like the factory version. I had to remove one inch from the rudder pedal end. Did not resew but did melt the fibers with the quick touch of a flame to keep from unraveling. Works just fine. Was easier than running around trying to find a local shop to custom make a pair.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Indeed they are the factory mats. Thanks for the feedback. Cutting an inch of the front makes the best fit and I can sew the Velcro strip on by hand.

Very nice material and workmanship but you'd think they would get the length right - especially knowing mine aren't the only misfitting set.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Carl, did you by any chance move the rudder pedal brackets aft to get a better foot angle on the pedals? Some folks do this about 1" and it would sure explain why the factory mats are 1" too long.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Good thought Jim but my pedals are in the default position. Had my first chance to sit in the plane with cushions in place and the pedals do seem far away. I'll have to learn to stay off the brakes during taxi practice.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Don’t know much about Tyler, TX, except waiting out a storm at airport trying to get home from OSH. Took my mats to boat repair shop and they cut and sewed mat for a 10 dollars.
    Kitfox 7 flying

Hey Carl

I just installed my floor mats yesterday. They look the same as yours. I’m going to leave them as is so that any dirt from my shoes will be easier to clean up.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

I remember thinking mine were a little long too. They look identical to yours. I pushed the front edges as much as possible under the rudder tubes and they seem to work without modification.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Mine fit ok ... front edge goes under the pedal tubes. I have to check, but I think my front edge velcro piece may be sewn on a little further aft from that edge, because the placement of the self adhesive piece is not directly under the tubes. One thing I will say is that the backing on that carpet is really poor - it sheds particles constantly. Every time I’d remove the carpet I would have to vacuum up all kinds of crap that came off. I finally got a spray can of black rubberized coating from ACE hardware and coated the back, right up to the edges with it. It’s great now... no shedding.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

On my carpets the forward Velcro strips are very close to the edge. Perhaps relocating that strip will let the forward edge slip under the pedal tubes. The side carpet panels could use a couple of extra Velcro strips as well.

Thanks for suggesting the black rubberized coating from ACE. That will definitely save aggravation.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X